Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #1

Talking Programming Used Remotes

I'm brand new to this site and I am a brand new owner of a 2001 Boxster. Before I purchased the car, the original keys/remotes were stolen. (I have the Valet key) Also the original owners manual and the wind deflector were stolen. But those items are not my immediate problem.

I purchased 2 remotes on eBay (where I was told they could be reprogrammed for my car, but that I would have to purchase a new blade through a Porsche dealer) The local dealer said, they can do nothing for me without the "paper that should come with the remotes."

Obviously, my problem is that I do not have the paper.

My question is... Are these remotes I just purchased useless or is there something I can do? ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

I'm new but very excited about finally owning a Porsche!

BG

revbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:23 AM   #2

BG,

Welcome to the forum ! There are a number of us here from the Chicagoland area...

Unfortunately, I think the remotes you purchased are useless

From the PCA tech section :

Q: I bought a blank valet key for my Boxster S from the internet. I believe the dealer needs to program the key since locksmiths do not seem to have the program. The dealer told me the key should come with a number that is required to access the chip and program the key. Is that true for both the function key and the valet key?

A: Porsche has a 6 digit code to access the Key Learn function for programming of a key head in the alarm control unit. Once you have access to this section you can program the key heads.
A valet key can be programmed without a problem do to it just uses a pill for the immobilizer. The problem that you have is in the remote key head. These remote heads come with a 20 digit key code tag that is attached to it. Without this tag or number the remote cant be programmed.

Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 5/2/2007

Link

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #3

I warn people about used ebay remotes. Without the paper tag it is worthless. There is a unique 24 digit code on the tag.

If you get remotes with tags then when your dealer programs them have the dealer delete the missing keys.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #4

Thumbs up Thank You

Thanks so much for your help!

Being new to the Porsche experience, I jumped too quickly in replacing the remotes (Trying to save a few bucks) I learned a valuable lesson and instead of saving, I lost $$.

I am contacting the seller of the remotes, (Who assured me they would work) to see about a refund.

I am truly grateful for your assistance and even more excited about being in the Porsche family!!!

BG

revbg is offline   Reply With Quote