Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 AM   #1

Desorkle vs Evo Intake

Iv'e read a bit about the evo intake an some suggestions that it makes no difference to performance only to the sound. I have desorked my 2.7. Any comments on the difference in adding an evo intake or would I be best suited to go for headers?

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've also desnorked my 2.7, and think it's a nice increase in intake sound, but adding the EVO intake will significantly increase that sound even more. I chose not to add it, however, because I don't think it really adds a significant amount of hp, as it is not a sealed system (the top of the intake where the cone filter is, is open to the engine bay) unlike the stock intake which is totally sealed off to insure that only cold air gets into the engine. The EVO, I think, is more for a sound enhancement.

The other problem with the EVO is that if you over oil the cone filter, you will have problems with your MAF, and might get a CEL light thrown. Not worth the risk to me personally, but for those that love the sound, I can see how it could be worthwhile to do.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
I desnorked, then about 10,000 miles later went to the EVO. The EVO definitely makes more power, especially at higher RPM's. As far as being a true cold air intake, out of the box it does not seal to the engine cover, but I was able to make my own seals from some foam padding, and now it's tight. No worries, great mod.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
desnorkel, then go EVO. couse when u get the EVO one u have to desnorkel either way, so give it a try.
i couldnt notice any power gain, but SOUND IS AMAZING. worth the money for sure.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #5

Thanks

Thanks guys. Honestly if I'm not going to get any significant power gains I'll probobly not bother with the EVO and consider extractors pehaps.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote