Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkjones View Post
I personally got a good laugh at how worked up some people got when I asked if anyone had heard of dropping a subaru motor in a boxster. Hilarious.
And get this... a couple of years after you brought this up, a guy's done it and the thing's blinding fast! :dance:

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #42

I like having a car that's a little bit of an underdog keeping up with my friends that have 911"s and Cayman"s its a challenge the Boxster has good power and Händels just as well
silverboxster2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #43

What do you want the car to do?

The car easily drives 200 klicks/125 MPH. It handles like a dream. It is a better car than this driver (been doing it for 55 years and have track experience).

Now as to what you can do to make it go faster ... there is a summary here. Just bring euros.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
What do you want the car to do?

The car easily drives 200 klicks/125 MPH. It handles like a dream. It is a better car than this driver (been doing it for 55 years and have track experience).

Now as to what you can do to make it go faster ... there is a summary here. Just bring euros.
Yes, your list is good and hopefully prevents folks from wasting their money.

There is no substitute for HP and displacement however the base 986 driveshafts, brakes and transmissions can not handle 400+ HP without something breaking so you have to start with the more robust S model to begin with.

I read that the GM LT-3 engine can get you to about 425 HP, weighs about the same as a stock engine but protrudes into the cabin causing you to lose ~1" of space behind your seats and a modified engine cover.

The LT-3 option will cost about $8K in adapter parts plus the cost of an LT-3 engine.

It just doesnt seem worth it unless your a racer or speed junkie.

Just get the S and enjoy.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #45
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
A few cheap bolt on parts and you can get +25bhp at the wheels on an S quite easily
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #46

When I installed the 2nd cat delete pipe and the Top Speed Muffler it definitely made a very noticeable difference in the responsiveness of the engine.

Power wise it feels like it helped as well. I would describe it as having more HP power earlier in the power curve.

The engine response seems instant now with little lag and by 4000rpm you feel getting pushed back in the seat with more force than before, whereas stock on the 2001 S you felt the power coming on strong more around 5000 rpm.

The result is that I'm certain the 0-60mph time is quicker since the power kicks in earlier than before.

I did the mod more for the sound, and it sounds great, but the overall result is much more than I expected and a nice surprise.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripbox View Post
Hi I am new to the forum, and love all the cars I have seen on here. simply amazing. I am looking at purchasing a 986, but want to know what I could do to add some HP, as it is my understanding that the base models are not the fastest car on the block. Let me know what you guys think? thanks
I wouldn't settle for anything other than an S. If you need more power than an S, send it off to Jake Raby. I believe he can get you 330 or so whp. Stock S has about 220-225 at the wheels.
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #48

Garage
It's very hard to squeeze more power out of the boxster's n/a engine. At some point, the equation starts to look like 1hp = $1,000. Take it from someone who knows.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #49

Is the regular shape K&N air filter improve somewhat ?