Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #1

stebro exhaust

I think I've decided to purchase a Stebro race exhaust with the Fabspeed cat deletes. Does anyone own this setup? Or just the Stebro race muffler? What are your opinions? I fell in love after hearing the sound clip on the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-RACING-EXHAUST-BY-STEBRO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ019QQi temZ290161876824QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #2

I think its the coolest looking exhaust on the market, although most think it looks like two soda cans welded to some pipes. I loved the sound clip too, but the system is alittle expensive. Go for it, and post some pics please.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #3

It is a tad on the expensive side although, the fabspeed cat deletes are $500 by themselves, so $1000 muffler isn't bad, that's what a GHL costs.

There's also a "make offer" button right under the "buy it now", my friend has an E46 M3 and just purchased a Stebro from them and he made an offer that was about $400 below what they were asking and they took it.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #4

I just looked at this muffler. It's different from mine in that it has a pipe that equalizes the pressure between the sides, which may or may not reduce resonance.

I'm betting this thing is going to make your cockpit so loud between 2-3k RPM that you wish you had your previous muffler on the car. Do report to us how much resonance it really has.

As far as the cat bypass, how are you planning to handle the CE lights and/or sensor placement issues?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #5

You don't get a CEL from the Fabspeed cat deletes. I'll still have one set of cats.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
You don't get a CEL from the Fabspeed cat deletes. I'll still have one set of cats.
He's right, the cat deletes still have bung holes for the O2 sensors to go into. So no light come on. And there are the 2 cats still by the headers. Unless you remove those too when buying new after market headers with out built-in cats.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
yellowboxster01,

I'm interested to hear about your experience if you go with this system. It is funny; I've never really wanted an aftermarket exhaust on my Boxster although I thought the stock system was too quiet for such a car.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to desnorkeling and since then I've really been obsessed with making bigger, better sounds. I've been reading a lot of old threads that I previously ignored.

I tend to drive my car on long trips 4.5 hours - 12 hours so I am concerned that the sounds that will be fun to hear around home will becoming extremely annoying on these longer trips.

I've read about and listened to clips from most of the exhaust providers but have failed to read anything about this one. The system looks really light and easy to install, which appeals to me. If I read correctly $975 for a base 97-04 which doesn't sound too badly to me if the resonance isn't bad.

Randall, what are your thoughts on your system now that you've had it for awhile? Would you go with the same set-up if you had to do it over again (I realize you were part of the initial dyno testing deal)? Does the resonance bother you on longer trips?

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #8

Dang, that thing sounds wicked. I'm sure it resonates pretty bad, but if your box is a weekend toy and you are tired of the weak stock sound then I say go for it. It definately gives the boxster some balls in the sound department. This is the first system I really like...other than the Koensige(sp?) This setup with some fabspeed headers would be pretty sweet. I might have to add this Stebro to my wish list.

Last edited by Adam; 09-25-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #9

I use my Box as a daily driver but, resonance doesn't really bother me. For highway cruising you just upshift if the resonance gets too annoying or just go faster.

That exhaust is kind of Ferrariesque.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #10

Hey guys, I have a Stebro Racing Exhaust for a 97-04 Boxster for sale, i'm not sure if it works for the S...anyone know?

I have it on my car now and it sounds AMAZING. Over 3k rpms it sounds like a Ferrari driving by. And its nice because its loudest under 3,000 rpm which means highway cruising is quite and smooth, and taking off it is loud and mean. I love this exhaust and am only selling it because I am selling the car.

STEBRO PORSCHE BOXSTER RACING EXHAUST
PERFORMANCE REAR MUFFLER FOR INCREASED POWER, REDUCED WEIGHT AND INCREDIBLE SOUND (Stock weights around 25lbs, Stebro weights around 7lbs, see the Stock vs. Stebro picture for reference.)

Local buyers ONLY here in Los Angeles. I am asking $650.

-Johnny
714 716 9992

http://www.stebro.net for details.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #11

Your muffler will fit both the 2.7 and 3.2 but, will not fit the 2.5.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Looking around on the Stebro sight I saw a couple of interesting things:

1) They have two different systems for the Box. The Racing muffler shown in yellowboxster01's original post, and a Sport muffler in the link I'm adding.

2) They appear to have both the Racing and Sport mufflers specifically for the 986 and different models for the 986S. I don't know what the differences are other than the base car systems are less expensive, which is good for me since I have a base.

I sent Stebro an e-mail and asked a few questions and here are their answers (you can figure out the questions):

Hi Derek, here are the answers:
1)yes , we have a sport exhaust for your base boxster. Item number: 290163104069
2)The difference are larger mufflers for better sound quality
3)Weights (factory system 78lbs, Stebro Sport system 24 lbs, Stebro Racing system 14 lbs
4)Both systems are fine at cruising speed. The racing system has a resonance around 2K rpm

As you can see when you compare the pictures in the links the sport system has larger mufflers. I actually like the sound from the sport system better (as best as I can judge from the sound clips). I'm also encouraged they mention a resonance with the Racing muffler which I guess by default means there isn't any (or at least less) with the Sport muffler.

The down side to the Sport muffler is it costs more, and weighs more, but it is still more than 3 X lighter than factory muffler if the Stebro weights are correct.

I'm really thinking about making an offer on the Sport muffler. Would you choose the Sport or Racing muffler and why?

Thanks,

Derek

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-SPORT-EXHAUST-1997-2004-BY-STEBRO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ019QQi temZ290163104069QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
For what it's worth, I weighed my stock OEM muffler from my 01 base when I took it off (muffler only, and no connection pipes or clamps), and it was 28 lbs. My Dansk exhaust that I put on was 26 lbs. The OEM PSE is about 40 lbs. No way is the stock muffler 78 lbs. I don't know how they got that number unless they included the cats and all the pipe attachments.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Boxtaboy,

Thanks for that info. on the weights. I thought I had read the OE muffler was around 30 pounds. I also read somewhere the Stebro system was less than 10 pounds. I believe the guy replied to my questions too early in the morning. I will ask him again for the weight of their mufflers.
ddb
Old 09-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #15

ddb,

I took a look at the Stebro website, and I really like their setup. Here's some more info :

BOXSTER S REAR RACING EXHAUST USD$ 1,175.00

Stebro is offering this brand new stainless steel performance racing exhaust system for the Porsche Boxter S. This system was specifically designed for the Boxster S models only. This system was specifically designed for the Boxster Racing Challenge under the following criteria: Increased flow(+75%)/ reduced weight(80% weight saving)/performance cross flow design(+25hp)/ enhanced sound quality that meets or exceeds the track racing 98 db limit. This system is also offered with a set of test pipes that replace the secondary cat-converters (for race applications only) Additional test pipe cost of $300.00 is applied.

1997-2004 PORSCHE BOXSTER SPORT EXHAUST SYSTEM USD$ 1,175.00

THIS SYSTEM WAS DESIGNED TO REDUCE WEIGHT, INCREASE POWER AND FLOW OVER THE OEM SYSTEM. IT IS LESS AGGRESSIVE THAN OUR RACING SYSTEM AND CAN ALSO BE USED ON PORSCHE BOXSTER TIPTRONIC MODELS.

PORSCHE BOXSTER S SPORT SYSTEM USD$ 1,750.00

THIS EXHAUST IS SIMILAR TO OUR PORSCHE BOXSTER S RACING SYSTEM, BUT THIS VERSION HAS LARGER MUFFLERS TO MAKE IT MORE COMPATIBLE FOR EVERYDAY STREET USE AND TIPTRONIC TRANSMISSIONS. EXPECT EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE AND DRIVEABILITY.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #16

I have the 1997-2004 PORSCHE BOXSTER SPORT EXHAUST SYSTEM ordered. I will document and post my experience.
Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:53 AM   #17

78 lbs for the factory exhaust? I don't think so. Mine was about 39 pounds.

I know this because I sold one of my factory mufflers and the UPS scale was a tad over 40 lbs with packing material.

So the Stebro is not 3x lighter.

No bearing on the sound or quality of the thing, just changes the weight savings a bit.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #18

Chris,

Awesome ! That is actually the one I am interested in

Looking forward to your review...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Craft
I have the 1997-2004 PORSCHE BOXSTER SPORT EXHAUST SYSTEM ordered. I will document and post my experience.
How much did you pay for it and where did you get it from? I think this is the route I'd like to go too. I don't want the resonance problems that people seem to have with most aftermarket exhausts. So far the PSE or a modified stock muffler like the PSE are the only options I've found without a resonance issue....

Please do post your experience once you get the PSE and take LOTS of pictures.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #20
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I asked Stebro to double check the weights they quoted in my post above and they sent me the following:

I took the time to get some accurate weights:
Stock system 39.5 lbs
Stebro Racing system 10 lbs
Stebro Racing system 18.75 lbs

I'm sure he means Stebro Sport system (instead of Racing) 18.75 lbs.

So the Racing system is almost 4x lighter than the stock system!

At more than 2x lighter the Sport system offers a nice weight savings as well. One that I will gladly accept.

ddb