Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #1

Thinking of moving to a 6 speed

4th gear gave out on my 5 speed VW/Audi transmission in the race car this past weekend during qualifying for Sunday's race. I have thought for a long time that a 6 speed with gears (still no one makes gears for the 5 speed that I know) would be a wake up for the car. Well, now is the time to do it, but it comes with a few questions:

1) Is the Aasco flywheel I have in the car the same for the S and 2.7L? On two separate sites that sell the flywheel it looks to be, just want to confirm.

2) What about the clutch. I know the 2.7 and 3.2L are different, but I am assuming that is more for power than anything. Will my 2.7L race clutch work?

3) The axles are different for the 3.2L and 2.7L. Any idea why? Are they again for the HP or something more?

4) What else do I need to consider for this? Shifter, shift cables...??

I am posting this on a few sites, sorry for the duplication but want to get it out to a crowd for discussion.

Thanks for your help.

E

ethand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #2

I believe the final drive ratio of the S 6spd to be different than the 5spd. Also, consider that in the S, it has more torque (and hp) to take advantage of the additional gearing. Also, 5th and 6th seemed to me to much more like "overdrive" gears than real performance gears, so unless you change the internal gear sets, you might not improve performance at all.

Coming form 911 history, it seemed with each engine upgrade, there were refinements/improvements to half-shalfts/cv joints to handle increased power. Could be the same here.. could be because the 5spd is Audi and the 6spd is "porsche" (getrag maybe) and built to work in 350hp applications (heck, maybe its the same as the TT putting out 450hp!) vs the 200-220 of the base boxster motors. Might want to check if there are differences in the rear hubs/carriers/attachment pionts too.

you mention "racing" - be sure to check the rulebook to see if this mod is allowed.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #3

i'm having BIG problems with my 5-speed as well !

they aren't smooth at all and coming back from 4th to 3rd i always get a big crack like as if i'm not declutching correctly. I can assure you: i do.

it's going in next tuesday for a checkup.

i hope it's under warranty. My 987 boxi is only 4 months old

SPEEDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote