Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #1

porsche boxster transponder key

can any body help!!! ive just bought 99 model porsche boxster 2.5 which has been stolen and recovered,ive bought it with no keys at all,ive had a blade cut so i can get into it but not start it,is it only main dealers that can code the keys because they want proof of ownership,ie logbook,this is my next problem, i cant get the logbook until it has gone for its vic check but i cant start it for the vic,i have reciept from salvage yard but thats it,please can somebody help?

m3kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #2

Where do you live?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #3

west midlands
Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #4

england,west midlands
Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #5

There you go. "west midlands" doesn't mean much to me, a guy who lives in Texas!

You're going to have to get some help from UK people on this forum. In fact, if you just visit with the manager of service at your local dealership, he may be able to help you figure out what to do.

And next time you buy a Porsche, insure it has two keys. They're terribly expensive. Here in the US, they cost between $200 - $300 with the transponder, key blade and programming. Ugh! Don't ask me how I know this.

With two keys, you'll have a backup if the battery dies in one or you lose it.

I have an idea... do a VIN search and contact the previous owner and ask them if they have a key for the car. They may have both lying around in a drawer.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #6

ive tried contacting previous owners but they havent got intouch with me,i will have to try the dealers again, thanxs any way mate
Old 09-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #7

Here are 3 UK boards.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?http://www.boxa.net/forum/

http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/

http://www.porschaforum.com/forum/index.php

If you ask on the Porsche Club Great Britain board ask for Richard Hamilton. He and people he knows can code a replacement key for you. Problem is your OPC needs to supply codes to do this and you can't even prove yet that you own the car. The other problem is, once this is sorted out, whomever does the programming has to have your car in front of him, unless he will go to the car.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #8

thanx i'll try him and see if he can help.hope so
Old 09-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

And next time you buy a Porsche, insure it has two keys. They're terribly expensive. Here in the US, they cost between $200 - $300 with the transponder, key blade and programming. Ugh! Don't ask me how I know this.
My car only came with one key. I decided it was a good idea to have 2 so, I went down to the Porsche dealer to order one. $395 with programming was the total. I had to give my vin numbers and all that, then sometime this next week I have to drop my car off at the dealer so they can program it. Quite the PITA but, I figure it's best to do in now and not when I may lose a key.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #10

There is room in the immobilizer for a max of 4 keys.

Missing or lost keys should be deleted. This is why when they program a new key they should ask you to bring all the keys you have.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote