Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Forum Contributor

Question convertable top

Hello, A while back my wife found a 2000 porsche boxster on the internet and she fell in love with it. We flew down to Miami, FL a few weeks ago and test drove it. Then we flew back Tuesady and drove it home to Michigan. We finnaly got our 2000 boxster home and we are loving it. We are still finding neet things about it. We do not have manuals so it is all by luck.

For some reason the top does not always go up or down. you can hit the button and nothing happens. no reaction at all. Is there something that I need to do everytime to get it working. The top is down now and has gone up and down several times since we got itn but once in a while it will not move. The top is down now and I am wanting to wash her.

vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #2

The hand brake lever must be up and the switch on the lever must work. Unless you have one of the one touch devices you need to push and hold the switch.

If the top does not move then start up the car and pull up on the lever. The hand brake warning light should come on. If it does not work then there is a bad switch. This is one of the most common problems.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

thats what it was. the parking break had to be up. Thanks a lot.

ok couple more questions. What is the countdown on the dash for. When you turn the key part way over there is a countdown from 40 next to some sort of bar?

Also what is the lever under the stearing wheel for. it slides from one side to the other. but cant figure out what difference it makes.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #4

Buy an owners manual. I think it is about $10 or less,
Old 08-14-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
Forum Member

The countdown timer you see, just before you start the car, is the time before your oil volume is displayed. You don't want to start the car or the gauge will revert to the clock. It will also display immediately after you have added fuel to the car. The gauge has hash marks to indicate volume.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:14 AM   #6
Forum Contributor

Thanks alot guys this is great informtion. I am not quite sure what you mean by "you don't want to start the car of the gage will revert to the clock" Are you saying to sit and wait for it to count down each time before starting?

Yes I need to buy an owners manual. but need to find one first.

thanks again
Old 08-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #7
b0xt0La

THe manuals aare all over ebay.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
porsche986

hi

according to my dealer there is a special way to start the boxster that nobody follows..

it involves the count down timer but i wasnt really listening i was too buzy looking at the porsche gt2 they had in wow!...

anyways the way they told me avoids misfire.. ect..

also the bar your talking about is the oil level.. the timer i aint sure about but i know it involves the correct boxster engine start

enjoy your car..

Last edited by porsche986; 08-15-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #9

What the sam hill do people do with the manuals, anyway? Feed them to the dog, or what?
Every car I have ever owned has had all the manuals with it when it went to the next owner. On the other hand, almost all of the used cars I bought never had any doc whatsoever. Go figure.
Note to Vision ... there is also a Maintenance Manual, specifying maintenance intervals and what needs to be done when, with little boxes to be stamped when maint. is completed. Thirty-six bucks from a dealer. Ask me how I know.
If you have one of the upgraded radio/CDs, there probably was a book for that, too. It may or may not be available from a dealer. I had to copy mine from a friend that has the same model.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:00 PM   #10

The part number for a 2000 manual is WKD 986 021 00. Suggested retail is $18 but Sunset sells at cost plus 15%. I assume it is still in print since it is listed on my price list. I have all the 1997-2003 manuals if someone needs a part number. Also all the radio manuals.

With the Boxster the booklets and more are kept I think when someone gets rid of the car. On ebay you see windstops, jacks, tool kits, and other stuff.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #11
porsche986

its crazy when i see tool kits on ebay when there listed i have sold my car and have no need for it, i mean what about the poor buy who bought the car.. its a bit sad selling boxster stuff that should be with the car..

if its got a value, ebay it.. thats great with junk but boxster tool kits and jacks ect.. ?? i dont know.. some people...
Old 08-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #12

re"Are you saying to sit and wait for it to count down each time before starting?"

When the countdown completes it shows an electronic 'dipstick' reading for the oil. It is pretty much useless except the first time you start the car after sitting overnight. A couple of days a week, I wait for the dipstick reading so I can monitor oil consumption.

Boxsters consume oil, mine eats about a quart every 12,000 miles and a little more on the race track. Usually I change oil about the time it needs more added, somettimes I add.

Given the oil consumption rate, I could probably safely check about once a month, but then I'm the kind of guy who checks tire pressures 2-4 times a month before I first drive the car.

Ad Sach
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:52 AM   #13
porsche986

yes, yer your supposed to wait for the small counter to finish, and porsche state only start the engine at 70 dg but how do you get the engine warm if you cant start it?

i should check my pressures i havent checked them for months..
Old 08-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #14
Forum Contributor

Thank you for all the replies. this has been helpful. I have been looking on ebay for all kinds of stuff.

Yeh not one booklet or tool box? didnt even know there was a tool box!!!! nothing with the car. maybe they sold it seperate.

I will have to find the books.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #15

The Boxster tool kit was original stored inside foam padding that fits inside the spare tire- you might take out your spare tire and have a look.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:29 PM   #16

the lever under the steering wheel is to move the wheel closer or furthur from you.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:49 AM   #17

One other thing to look for is the key for the wheel locks, if any. I thought mine was missing, but finally found it in the pocket of the spare tire cover.
Also, check the sticker on the underside of the front luggage compartment lid. There may be two hand written sequences of letters/numbers. If so, one of them is the radio/CD code, which you will undoubtedly not have if all of the original doc is missing. The other one is another security code, but I forget what. Maybe the alarm system? Both of these are needed to get everything working again if you ever have to disconnect the battery. Apparently scribbling these codes on that sticker is a semi-standard procedure amongst Porsche dealers, probably in order to save their techs a lot of time when servicing the car. Sounds sort of like writing you password on a stickey and pasting it to your monitor, doesn't it?
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:22 AM   #18

vision, I PM'd you.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote