Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #1

Thumbs up MAF Sensor tip

I was experiencing a big loss in performance lately and got a CEL on my MAF sensor, so I bought a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner and HOLY SH** ! What a difference ! The car has never run better since I have owned it ! All this new performance for $7. Try it, it is worth every penny, especially if you have never had it done and have some miles on your car or use a K&N filter like I do and possibly had too much oil on it when you installed it as the MAF sensor is right next to the filter on the air box. Robert.

rob-cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Good stuff, I thought you sold the boxster?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Gerardo de Kort
agreed

I second that one.
About two weeks ago I saw this MAF cleaner at my local NAPA store also and decided to buy it. Notice you do need the small security torx bit to take out the MAF sensor.

Well I cleaned it with several sprays as instructed and replaced it.
I was surpriced to notice it had gotten slightly worse.
Turned out there is a small part of the sensor (virtually hidden) which is where the sensitive part really is. On the first try I think all the dirt had simply been pushed right onto this part. So on the second try I had this part shining like a mirror.

Indeed it makes a world of difference performance wise.
Gerardo de Kort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #4

I've read that you need a T20 security bit to take out the MAF, but mine is in with regular phillps head machine screws. I bought a Torx security bit set prior to starting the job and then didn't need it. Does anyone know if this was a production year change?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #5

I did sell it. I wanted to take care of the CEL problem before I turned it over as I would not be too happy if I bought a car and the CEL came on as soon as I got it.
rob-cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I've read that you need a T20 security bit to take out the MAF, but mine is in with regular phillps head machine screws. I bought a Torx security bit set prior to starting the job and then didn't need it. Does anyone know if this was a production year change?
Griz,
They all came stock with the Torx head screws but some very wise mechanic or previous owner did what I did and threw the Torx screws in the trash and replaced them with phillips head screws on your car. Now the tool you need is always in the front of your toolbox and you don't have to worry about finding the right bit or dropping the stupid Torx bit down in the engine bay, never to be seen again .