Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 03:58 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
**ADVISE** New too the box s. ecu/lowering

This is my first message on the forum so a big 'hey' too all that read it. Im 24 from Aberdeen in Scotland.

I have just purchased my first porsche, although not new to the Porsche marque as my dad swears by them and has owned many and currently drives one too.

I have a 2002 Boxster S in silver with Red Leather (my 4th car with red leather in a row) it is immaculate and has covered under 30,000 miles, this is a real find of a boxster so want to preserve it .

I have ordered a set of 19" antera 349 alloys which i recieve on the 8th of september, i cannot wait. tyres still to be chosen unsure weather Pirelli or Bridgestone??

However i want to lower the car and unsure the ideal height drop on the 19's and if possible due to the fact i just drive in town would springs be an acceptable option. ( i rearly go on B roads)

I am also looking to re-map the ecu can i have experiance on this too. Have chipped/remapped previous cars, the audi's made a clear difference is this a similer result on the Box S

Thanks

James

00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #2

I am going for H+R springs as through the search i see these to be the choise of most on the standard strut.

Can somebody with experience of the H+R spring set up and has maybe had 19 inch alloys as well recommend a drop size???

Thank you
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
Now:

Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #3

Howdy -

There are a number of different ways and options for you to lower your call.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12898

M030 kit
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12717&highlight=M030

from someone in your region.
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12418&highlight=M030

And there are a number of different opinions on tires.
try the search button - top right.

We have similar color and miles on our "new" cars. I have 18s on mine and am thinking of lowering/firming the suspension as well.
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #4

Thanks,

thats an ace help. im pretty settled on going for an inch drop now, was kind of sure of that depth but was concerned incase there was any rubbing on the arch attall.
but that is cool.

Totally liking the idea of using the GT3 sway bars, guessing it must be worth it if so many people opt for them.

Would spacers all round cause any problem??? was thinking 8 or 10 mm.
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
Now:

Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

James, you probably will not see the kind on gains from ECU remapping that you might have on other cars. The setup out of the factory is pretty good and is tough to improve significantly on. Definitely would need to get the car breathing better (intake, exhaust) to see any changes at all. Initially, I was disappointed with the results of the remap but it seems to have improved over time. It is a subtle gain but noticeable at certain times. Individual mods work best as part of a total package and that includes suspension too.

By the way, my daughter leaves next week for Scotland for a year of studying at one of your fine universities. It is a beautiful country and I hope to get over there soon.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

Put Michelin PS2's on your list of tires to check out. All my Pcar buddies and I swear by them. It's the only rubber I'll put on my car until someone proves to me that another brand is better.

Yes, the French do one other thing well besides cook good food and make good wine.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
By the way, my daughter leaves next week for Scotland for a year of studying at one of your fine universities. It is a beautiful country and I hope to get over there soon
Where about? 80% of scotland is unbelievably gorgeous, The roads here are incredible, when you come over you will wish you had your car, there is a company called Rio prestige that would rent you a Boxster s for 3 days for about £500 and you could sample the scenery and incredible routes.

I think i will go the exhaust route and induction route but im scared of making the car sound to loud and un- porsche like. i have a plan for the car, but need it all done by november so i can enjoy as i turn 25 in February and want a carrera 4S after that.

All the the help would be excellent, i guess locating the producrts might be the only problem.

Quote:
Put Michelin PS2's on your list of tires to check out.
I will do, thank you for that, what tyres are you comparing them too? what other ones have you experienced on the box??
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
Now:

Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #8

She will be in Glasgow. I will be sure to keep the Boxster rental in mind when we visit her. The intake modification is easy and relatively inexpensive. There are good exhausts out there that will make your car sound even more Porsche-like and locating the products is not difficult. Search back through the board as there are countless discussions on the topic. You may be surprised after modifying this car that a C4S may be different but in many respects would not be better. I have been tempted time and again to "move up" only to realize how much I love my car.

ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote