Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #1

windows going down on their own

hi, i have a 986 and recently i noticed that when the top is down and im driving with the windows up, they start going down slowly on their own. this only happens when im driving. could it be when i hit a bump in the street or a pothole that this effects them and start to move down?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #2

Quite possibly the microswitch in the top latch setup. Do the windows go down ~2 inches, just like when you pull the top latch prior to opening? If so it's likely the microswitch. You may want to spray some compressed air in the opening to remove dust that accumulates on the contacts.

The easiest solution is to put the windows down when the top is down.
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
Quite possibly the microswitch in the top latch setup. Do the windows go down ~2 inches, just like when you pull the top latch prior to opening? If so it's likely the microswitch. You may want to spray some compressed air in the opening to remove dust that accumulates on the contacts.

The easiest solution is to put the windows down when the top is down.

yes thats what happens, they go down about two inches just like when you want to open the roof. i just bought a can on compressed air, will try your suggestion thanks. well if the problem remains, i guess thats the best thing to do, just roll the windows all the way down, thanks!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #4

You can replace the microswitch. It's an inexpensive part and can be done yourself if cleaning the contacts doesn't remedy this, however, the switch rarely fails completely, so the problem is intermittent. Generally cycling through the top up / top down cycle a few times will eliminate the problem, at least temporarily.

I've had the microswitch in the hand brake act up a few times in 5 years, a few spirited up / down cycles brings it back on line. Good luck.

Are you in Malta, NY or the Island of Malta?
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #5

malta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
You can replace the microswitch. It's an inexpensive part and can be done yourself if cleaning the contacts doesn't remedy this, however, the switch rarely fails completely, so the problem is intermittent. Generally cycling through the top up / top down cycle a few times will eliminate the problem, at least temporarily.

I've had the microswitch in the hand brake act up a few times in 5 years, a few spirited up / down cycles brings it back on line. Good luck.

Are you in Malta, NY or the Island of Malta?

I live on the island of malta. its a teeny weenyisland of just 120 square miles!!