Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 AM   #1

Crisper shifter bushings?

I am not particularly interested in a short shifter because they usually increase shifting effort. I am more interested in something that "tightens up" the feel, so it's not painfully obvious that the shifter is connected to the tranny through a linkage. Usually, changing bushings to stiffer ones can do this... is there such a kit for the Boxster? Have any of you installed it? What are your impressions?

iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #2

There are a few areas of slop in the stock shifter.

Image stolen from renntech, I believe the owner is Tool Pants. I have used this before and not credited him, so my apologies to Tool Pants.

First, the factory fore/aft bushings (on the left and right sides of the pic) will develop a bit of slop as they wear. This allows the shifter to slide fore/aft a slight bit. Second, the metal lever develops slop in the plastic housing (the big piece behind the red circle). This gives a bit of side to side slop. Third, the plastic piece that is circled is not a perfect fit into the next higher assembly, the "gate" select lever. Fourth, the gate select lever uses a plastic pivot, which definitely wears over time.

I think the majority of the slop comes from that fourth thing (not shown in the pic). At least, it does on my car. Over the winter while the car is resting I would like to disassemble the console (AGAIN), drill out the plastic pivot, and use a bearing or bushing to improve that pivot. I think that'll help my (low mileage) shifter quite a bit.

Still, there is no getting around the fact that the shifter is controlled by a pair of really long cables going to the back end of the car. Porsches have never been known for their accurate, slop-free shifters.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #3

You may want to try the new shift linkage sold by EVO & Schnell. This will tighten up the sloppy feel.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 AM   #4

I doubt it. At least on my car, there isn't any slop in that piece.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote