Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:46 AM   #1

best performance mods.....

so i have a 2000 boxster s and was dying to tune it. after much research this is what i decided in theory might work best, cost aside. I had done a fabspeed exhaust removing the second cats, kept original headers so it isnt to loud but i still get resonance at 2-3k rpm. not enought to make me hate it thought hehe. desnorkled BMC filtered intake, boy does it breath easier. These mods really helped her and not it makes a wicked sound. after much research i decided to try the revo stage 2 reflash. WOW expensive but what a difference. The car now excelerates hard past 100 with much more power up top. it also seems to have more torque but this could be the advanced throttle response, either way much more drivable, no more 2k flat spot and it now has blistering high rev power. i must say all this was expensive but the shifts up to 4th gear are non stop fun and i will never want it different. to round out the car were going with clear lights and side markers, 18in porsche hollow spoke turbo wheels and the row m030 suspension. big difference with this stuff, the revo reflash made the most. so i say get a used low milage boxster s and do these mods to it. SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! i also may put her on a 100 pound diet. exhause 30 lbs wheels 20 gt3 seats 60 lightweight battery 15. thats over 120 right there.

rmolke986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
nice man, glad you're enjoying the car.

do you have a short shifter?
you can also remove the spare tire if you're going with the diet.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #3

Sounds like a sweet ride, and similar to the mods I have done. Like you, I have found that reducing the weight where possible, really helps performance. If you are looking for some performance and responsiveness and your clutch is needing replacing, I would highly recommend a lightweight flywheel. Car seems more responsive without the the mass of the factory flywheel. The car does chatter a little in neutral with the clutch out, that is the only minor problem I have seen with the lighter flywheel.

I also had a lot of fun doing the mods to the car, especially running the car on the dyno with the additon of the intake, chip and exhaust, and just learning about our great cars, but it has beeen a very expensive education. I made the mistake once of calculating how much the mods as well as normal wear and tear costs were (tires, clutch, brakes, in addtion to mods) over the year or so I have owned the car. The mods and cost of maintenance ended up being more than I paid for the car last summer, yikes......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #4

I have the FabSpeed exhaust as well, and am planning headers sooner or later. I'm surprised to hear you found te REVO reflash to be noticeable.

I absolutely second the light flywheel.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
According to your calculations saving 30 lbs off of the OEM muffler would mean that the aftermarket lighter weight one would only weight 5 lbs. Sorry to burst your bubble,I wish there was one,but not on this car.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 AM   #6

According to your calculations saving 30 lbs off of the OEM muffler would mean that the aftermarket lighter weight one would only weight 5 lbs. Sorry to burst your bubble,I wish there was one,but not on this car.

ok blinkwatt, acording to me this pulls off those stupid second cats which weight ALOT and replaces with basically straight pipes, 30 lbs saved guarunteed. and
Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 AM   #7

I have the FabSpeed exhaust as well, and am planning headers sooner or later. I'm surprised to hear you found te REVO reflash to be noticeable.

i dont know what it is but i got a stage 2 reflash for 93 and set up for my mods and yeah the car puls harder in each gear 100 gets passed a lot now and i only had it for 3 days and before that i never had the space to get it there. now its easy using all the same routes i used daily. straight line speed for the boxster. now for some super sticky tires and euro suspension. i highly recommend whatever reflash my car got cause it has noticible more power high in the rev range.