Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 02:43 PM   #1

front end shaking at 75 and up

Just got some new tires put on my car today and the ride is phenominally different.

Hardly a peep out of these Kuhmos... but the front end shakes like a hula girl at 75 and up.

I saw an archive post by someone and I wanted to go back and read it, but I can't find it now.

If this has happened to you after you had new rubber put on, what did your mechanic do to correct it?

I'd like to take the boxster back to the shop with some knowledge in hand, apart from my wallet.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #2

To risk the obvious...

I presume your car did not shake before the new tires and you used a shop experienced with high speed balancing. Therefore it is either the tires themselves of something done when they installed the tires. Unless you refused something like balancing or hit something on the way home, then this should all be on their nickel to fix it. I'd just go back to the shop and let them know about the problem - they should be happy to make it right.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Definitely offset wheel balancing problem cause a shaking at higher speeds. I am currently going through a wear down on my Michelins and now I am thinking of getting after market 18x8.5 F 18x10 R wheels with new tires and retiring the 17” allows. At the same time I am going to swap the springs with a one inch drop or so along with a 4 wheel alignment.

Also depending on how you drive your car will determine the time it will wear down your tires as well as maintaining balancing and rotations of the tires to even out the wear, but yeah I know what you mean when the car shakes it feels like a Junker.
986chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #4

ok, the saga is now complete.

took it back to the shop where I had the tires mounted and balanced the first time. A mechanic who drives a new corvette told me he'd balance them again and again until I was happy, all at no charge. Took about an hour and a half for all four wheels to be balanced again...

Yippee! Took it out and ran it up to 90 and it was just as smooth as glass, with the exception of cracks and patches in the stretch of freeway I was driving.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

My 2002 Boxster S, I have two different set of tires, one set for summer and the other set for winter.... YES winter. I always have my Porsche dealer balance my tires. Not only they spin balance them but they do a "LOAD" balance as well. At the sametime I have them do a 4 wheel alignment check as well.

My car did the samething as yours. The dealer technician found that 3 out of 4 needed balancing. If I can not hit 155 to 160 miles-per-hour within a mile or two, then there is something wrong.

:-D
ANiceGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #6

"Nice Guy"

FYI: most winter tires aren't rated for 155-160

.... besides it gets cold with top down under under 30(degrees) and over 50(mph). I stay off the interstate on really cold days!

Adsach
P.S.Can't beat the Hunder 9000 for balancing tires - quality matters at speed.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
Forum Member

The brand name "Continental" tires are the brand I use for winter. My dealer does everything from tuning to balancing tires. I never had to go back the the second time around to get the samething fix again (like you had to do). They always gave me a loaner car when ever my car is service. You might want to think twice about the place you take your car to be service. If they are not qualify and trained by Porsche then you are taking a risk of voiding your warrenty and something going wrong. Don't take your car to someone in just to save a few bucks. It is not worth it.
ANiceGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by ANiceGuy10
My dealer does everything from tuning to balancing tires. I never had to go back the the second time around to get the samething fix again (like you had to do). They always gave me a loaner car when ever my car is service. You might want to think twice about the place you take your car to be service. If they are not qualify and trained by Porsche then you are taking a risk of voiding your warrenty and something going wrong. Don't take your car to someone in just to save a few bucks. It is not worth it.

My dealer is the only one within 150 miles. It often takes 2 trips to get things right. They don't seem to quite get the whole alignment concept. When I go to the independant it is to get good service quality not just to save a few bucks.

My first dealer, Porsche North Scottsdale, was excellent.

Enjoy your dealer experiences. - I look forward to having a good dealer again someday - It will probably be after I move to another state.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote