Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #1

Weird oil leak

3 months ago had the usual oil/air seperator smoke out. Replaced all three oil/air seperators. For about 2 weeks had a small oil leak, thought it was the RMS leak. Repair shop said let the oil that was sucked wear away and work its way through the engine.

About one week latter, all OK, dry as a bone, no measurable oil usage. Wife drives the car normally and never aggressivley. The first time I drove the car, agressaviley, a few drops of oil under the car, right were the RMS would leak. I don't drive the car, dry as a bone. I drive the car aggressivley, small leak.

I took the car on a 300 mile highway drive. Average speed 80 MPH. Fast acceleration to 80, but no REVS over 6000. Got home and a small puddle under the car again the next morning. Larger then ever before and it registered on the oil level readout in speedo - 3 bars.

Couple of days of wife driving the car no leak!

2001 Boxster, 58,000 miles, tiptronic, Had the full 60K service about 2 months ago.

Anybody see something like this before?

Thanks for any help with this one.

abacusnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 AM   #2

You repalced all three air/oil seperators????? I only know of one.

You should get the car on a lift to look for evidence of oil leakage. If it's in the RMS/IMS area, there you go. If not, consider yourself lucky.

As for leaking only when the car is driven hard, keep in mind that as RPMs rise, so does oil pressure. More pressure equals more leaks.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #3

Oil / air seperators

There are two smaller ones in the sump (oil pan) and one larger one to the right rear as you look at the engine.

Whatever oil comes out of the engine, it seems to follow to the lowest point and drips out the fly wheel. That is where the RMS leak also comes out.

My understanding is that the RMS ALWAYS leaks, while my engine is dry as a bone until I drive it hard.

abacusnw is offline   Reply With Quote