Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scherb Send a message via Yahoo to scherb
Question Apple and Porsche?

Looking for a way to connect my ipod to a 1997 Boxster. Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
b0xt0La

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/ipod/
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #3

go to www.beckerautosound.com and check out the aux input for the Becker sound system. Depending on the system you have (CDR-220, CR-220, CDR-210, CR-210) they may have a aux connector for it. This will allow you to plug your iPod directly into the head unit.

I think the 220s will allow an aux connection.

Good Luck

JBG
Old 07-07-2004, 04:24 PM   #4

The 210 radio used in 1997-1998 does not have aux in. You have to do the cd changer trick or use a modulator. Some early owners switch to the 220 for this reason because it does have aux in.

I see your are in Sunnyvale. We have a local Bay Area Porsche group that works on cars together.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #5

Just be aware that if you use the AUX kit, your cd changer will no longer be working. For the CDR220 or the CR220s, its either the CD changer OR the AUX input.

I had that problem and I haven't swapped out my CD changer yet. Porsche needs to do what BMW is doing with Apple and put in a connection in the console for both power and sound and control it with the head unit. Alas, that is much too much to ask.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

I just had my iPod installed into my Boxster S. Though I have a Kenwood deck that allows for AUX input instead of the factory deck with AUX input, the process is the same:

1. I went to the Porsche and purchased a dash odments tray to replace the CD storage unit in my dash. I cut a slot in back (near the middle) of the tray for my iPod cable to use. (In my case, I actually replaced the "DSP" panel at the very bottom with an odments tray).

2. I purchased the "Belkin Auto Charger w/Audio for iPod" (available at Apple.com/iPod or the Apple store). This plugs into the power socket in the car and provides an adjustable line-out from the iPod. A single cable runs from this to the dock connector on the bottom of the iPod.

3. I went to Magnolia Hi Fi, a decent car audio shop, and had them remove the CD storage unit, connect the AUX connector to the deck, and hard-wire the Belkin adapter to the car. The cable from the adapter to the iPod was set in the slot I'd previous cut in the odments tray.

4. We connected everything up to the iPod, tested that playback worked, and used the volume knob on the Belkin adapter to adjust the level so it matched the radio/cd player.

5. Finally, we tucked the adapter behind the odments tray, set the odments tray in place, and voila.

The final result is simply a white iPod cable with a dock connector tucked into a odments tray -- if you've seen the BMW commercial, it looks exactly like the connector in the BMW glovebox.

I can take pictures of the final install if people are interested.

- Geoff
geoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scherb Send a message via Yahoo to scherb
Geoff It would be great if you could post some pictures.

Tool Pants can I get more info on the Porsche Club?

Thanks to all.

Last edited by scherb; 07-14-2004 at 10:54 AM.
scherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:49 AM   #8
Forum Contributor

Guauu!!! i´m very interesting on that...because today i had buy a new radio for my boxster (the old CDR21 ..i going to change for the Becker Monza MP3 7886

Do you know if the 7886 have this AUX conection for a Ipod or something similar?
Thanks in advanced.
acamachobadajoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:53 PM   #9

It has an aux input.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Forum Member

Go to DensionUSA - they make a kit that plusa directly into the radio. It powers the iPod too and there is an optional mount for it.
BOX5TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:07 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Aqueel112
Thumbs up free ipod

Hello everyone,

if your interested here is a site that really does give out free ipods... I was a little reluctant at first, but tried it once and it worked. This would be my second IPOD, if I can get 5 referals.... You have to click no to a bunch of advertisments, but hey its worth it.

http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10881673

Aqueel

Aqueel112 is offline   Reply With Quote