Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2004, 05:37 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Premium Bose Aftermarket

Hello fellow forum members...sorry if there are spelling errors, as I am using an arabic computer in North Africa right now, and am not sure if this will work at all.

TO get to the point: I am looking to purchase the high performance Bose audio package for my 2000 Boxster, and was curious if anyone knew a good place to start looking (other than the tequipment web pages); or has already had one installed. As the internet here is slower than slow, I dont have the luxury of searching the web easily until I get back to the states in August. I can, however, do limited research.

Thanks in advance for your help!

kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:48 AM   #2
Forum Contributor

Have you considered an aftermarket system?

I have an '01 Boxster with the factory Hi-Fi system (amp in trunk, dash and door speakers, CDR220 head unit). I was very disapointed with the sound quality of this system but really liked the factory look.

I did some research on the web looking for ideas on replacing what I have. I had a couple of constraints. 1- I wanted to retain the factory look as much as possible and 2- I didn't want to break the bank.

My search lead me to a company called Car Audio Innovations out on the West Coast (I'm in Mass). Looking at their web site (http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/)(1-800-892-6430) it was clear they did a lot of work on Porsches. I gave them a call and spoke with the owner, Rod. What a wicked nice guy Rod is. In fact his entire team are just awesome.

I shared with Rod what I was looking for and he helped me put a system together that didn't break the bank and looked VERY close to stock. And the quality is 100 times better than the factory system. It's better than I could have hoped for, and I did all the work myself.

Rod sent everything I needed from the gear, wires, connectors etc. all the way to printed instructions with pictures for the install. And the bet part was Rod was always available via the phone when I had questions, and I had a bunch!!

Not sure I've helped you at all but you might want to touch base with Rod and see what your options are. Tell Matt in Mass sent ya!!

All the best.

Matt
Matt (in MA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #3

You didn't by chance do the subs in the doors like this one did ya?

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/installations/chris%20boxster%20s.htm

If you don't mind me asking what did you get done?

I've been thinking about upgrading so I can get XM and have been toying with the Navigation idea...not to mention I miss my bass. It was perfect in my last vehicle, nothing overwhelming just right. Clarion HU, with an Infiniti 12" Kappa Perfect DVC paired with an Xtant amp...the components from the factory were surpisingly good so I didn't have to touch those. It sounded perfect in the car, didn't vibrate anything on the outside...in fact you could hardly hear it outside the car...for me that's a good thing (I'm not a show-boaty type of guy.)

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Forum Contributor

aesir -

In fact I did put those subs in Along with Focal 4" two ways with the cross-overs in the dash, a Nacamichi CD-400 head unit and an Audison 4 way amp.

It's nice and tight bass with crisp mids and highs. The system really rocks...

It takes a bit of customization to get the speakers to work with the stock grills but Rod helped out with excellent guidance. I too don't go for the flash and was looking for a very stock looking installation.

Hope that helps.

All the best.

Matt
Old 07-07-2004, 04:51 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Thanks for the information. I notice the business is located in CA, but also that he travels to work on the cars. Does that mean it costs a whole ton? For those of us in the northeast, it might be easier to go to Tweeter's custom installation center than to fly a professional out from CA.

Regardless, all I have is the two front dash speakers and the stock head unit...and in my last car I had a very nice custom stereo, so I'm going to need to make changes.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:58 AM   #6
Forum Contributor

I did ALL the work myself and if I can do it, so can you. Make sure you have a Dremal tool!

Good luck

Matt
Old 07-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #7

Did you do anything with the rear compartment behind the seats?

Thanks for all the info, I am going to have to ring them after my summer trip.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote