Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2004, 05:37 AM   #1

Talking Top Repaired

I got my car back from Auto Europe yesterday, the problem was that the top would not go up, well it would but just on the passenger side. This presents a problem because the cowl starts to twist and brackets break. The funny thing is that this problem occurs on all Porsches including the 911. To repair this problem they have to re-sink the driver motor with the passenger which normally is an easy fix unless you try and do it yourself and hand them a box of parts with the car (you know all the parts that were taken off in your drive way) anyway in my case they had to straighten out the cowl replace the brackets. I had two estimates on the repair $1,285.00 and $805.00 so best bet is to shop around for this type of service some shops do more of this repair than others. When I was there yesterday there were 2 911's and 1 Box with the same problem. There advice was not to use the top that much, if your doing a lot of running aroud don't raise the top everytime you leave the car, the also said that there should be a counter to tell you how many more times the top will go up before breaking.

If anyone lives in southern MI I highly recommend Auto Europe

Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:12 AM   #2

Wow....that really stinks....

If you use your top inevitably it will break, but on the other hand the WHOLE reason why I bought this car was because it was the sexiest roadster on the market and I WANT to put the top down.

Oh well, hopefully my extended warrantly will cover this if it happens.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #3

He did say that the 911 is a worse design and that they break more frequently
Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
b0xt0La

My top rods broke so many times that I decided (for now) to operate the top manually. It's actually faster and you can do it while sitting on the driver's seat. The top design sucks plus they charge a lot for the top rods when all you need is the plastic piece.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:59 PM   #5

The standard estimate at my dealer is $2,000, but we do it for a lot less. And we twist the clamshell back into shape.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:51 AM   #6

I am already having problems with the top and i picked it up last wed, so it looks like it will be going back to the shop
Automon