Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #1

Question 986 - Clutch Cylinder Replacement ...

A week ago my clutch started to get a big heavy and hard to shift gears. A day later the clutch was sticking to the floor. I now have it parked up while i try and get it fixed.

I had the car popped up on a ramp and by an father (who has mechanincal background) so that he could take a look around. He came to the conclusion that the clutch cylinder has popped as he found hydraulic fluid close to cylinder.

He has told me that he thinks it is the Slave Cylinder but on doing some web research i can't seem to find any mention of a Boxster 986 2.7 (1999) having a Slave cylinder.

If anyone has any knowledge of this could they let me know if there is indeed a Slave Clutch Cylinder in this model.

Thanks & Regards,
D.

dmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcallister
If anyone has any knowledge of this could they let me know if there is indeed a Slave Clutch Cylinder in this model.

Thanks & Regards,
D.
I just changed my Clutch Slave Cylinder on my 99'. It's located at the top of the transmission and it's kinda of akward to get to but it's doable. It's easy to change;

-loosen the bolt holding it in place,it's a 13 mm bolt,use a small breaker bar to 'break it loose'

-remove the hydaulic line,swap onto new slave cylinder quickly(the stuff makes a mess)

-reinstall the new Slave

-Tighten bolt. This part is kinda hard and you could get frustrated but it's as simple as it looks only a pain to get back in place.

-Bleed the Slave Cylinder for 30 seconds or however much longer is needed until bubble free fluid emerges.

Easy as that!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #3

The Boxster clutch system does have a slave cylinder on the side of the tranny. (I don't know how you could not have a slave cylinder in a hydraulic system - actuating the master cylinder means that something else has to react to it, i.e. another cylinder in a different location).

Be aware that the clutch system shares the reservoir with the brake system.

If you're going to work on your car, among other things, you might want to consider getting a copy of the Bentley's manual. I did and it's full of great info.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11021