Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2004, 06:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Dropping the top

When retracting the convertible roof the windows drop to roughly 2/3rds to obviously protect them and make the process easier for the mechanisim to operate.

However, once the roof has fully retracted and the dash light goes out why don't the windows then raise back up automatically just like they do when the hood goes back up and the lock is engaged ?

I have then been closing the windows fully, but am wondering if this is a design feature and the windows are best left where they are, would it help aerodynamics / cabin noise? Any ideas ?

PS. Just travelled 1600 miles around Scotland, this has cost me £160 in fuel ($290 for our american friends), which ain't too bad for the car. Ran like a dream.

LilleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:40 AM   #2

I find the cabin quieter (and warmer/cooler, depending upon the climate control settings) with the windows fully back up. That said, the difference is not huge and I often forget to put them up. I seem to drive with the windows either fully up or down and nothing in between if I'm paying attention.

If you have any photos from your Boxster cruise around Scotland, post 'em for us to see! Must have been fun cruising along the Lochs and Firths in a Boxster...
Old 06-11-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Donv,

Quick response! were you just sitting there waiting for someone to post? I'll try a few different window permutations over the weekend.

Scotland was amazing. Highlight was easily the small 'B' classified road that ran alongside Loch Ness, great fun. Although constant whining from the wife as apparently she wanted to see the scenery and I was going too fast ! How naive, you don't go to Scotland in a Boxster for the scenery you go for the thrill! Howver, You really don't mind putting on the mileage when you are in such a beautiful place and having so much fun.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Talking

So that would make you the Loch Ness Boxster ???
Old 06-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #5

My favorite is open window on my side, closed window on the other.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

Porschefan,

I really like your line of thought ... 'Loch Ness Boxster', but am surprised that you didn't also go for the 'Monster Aerokit' (option code 666 - of course):

I will be the first to admit that it doesn't do much for the handling but it certainly clears the road, as an additional bonus it is capable of scaring small children within 100yds. Servicing costs are high, Monster has to be well fed otherwise he gets the hump!

Seriously, I was concerned that the operation of my top was incorrect, or, a sensor / switch was faulty, but, it now appears this is standard functionality and the windows are not supposed to close after the top has been dropped.

Great forum, great people, great car.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #7
Forum Member

Nice photo! That car would fit right in with the Houston Art Car parade.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #8

I see cunards in the front of the Monster aerokit( green air foils sticking out of Monster's neck). Very handy aerodynamic tool for downforce and road grip. Now about the tail it could be option 666-A for concealed adjustable geometry rudder.