Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #1

Maintenance and some other issues???

Hello again,

First issue: rattling noise coming from the exhaust area the exhaust is new from Che's product, also, I have his headers which will be installed soon. In regards to preventive maintenance my car has 47k miles on it I recently did an oil change which wasnt an easy thing to do but I did it. I must say that I need the proper tools to do that since I was lacking a few tools. Would it be a good idea to change to 02 sensors once the new headers be installed? Also, do I need to replace my rotors at every brake wear? Whats a good indicator that the rotors need to be changed? I have some wear on the rotors but I am not an expert to determine if they need to be replaced.

Lastly, I have a noise coming from the suspension or some other place everytime that I park my car in the garage and I go over a cement ramp I hear the squeaky noise I have an extended warranty on the car by (Easy Care) which is bumper to bumper should I just take the car to the stealership and let them deal with it and do an inspection on the car? I dont know what to do with this ride, shes a keeper but I to deal with a few issues. I paid over $3,500 for a warranty on the car wondering if it was worth it

Been looking around ebay for parts, tools etc so I can work on my car and save some money but I need a little guidance on this. Whats a good torque wrench to have? Damn so many questions

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #2

What year and engine size is your boxster?
I have Che's muffler on my 02 S and it makes a rattling sound as well. Porsche dealership said it was coming from inside the muffler, maybe a loose baffle.
I have had mine for 6 months and it has not gone away. Maybe if we both call Che and tell him he might be able to fix it or send a new one out.

I dont know what year yours is, but be carful, my 02 S has BOTH O2 sensors on the headers, and therefor NO after market header will work without a CEL.
Che was working on a solution, but the computer is looking for a O2 sensor before and after a cat converter.

James
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Maybe if we both call Che and tell him he might be able to fix it or send a new one out.
Do it, they come with a warranty for a reason. If he sold you the muffler and it didn't state, 'Muffler comes with a rattle', then you should be entitled to a free replacement. Let us know if Che takes care of you guys or not.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 05-01-2007 at 07:42 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #4

"I have Che's muffler on my 02 S and it makes a rattling sound as well. Porsche dealership said it was coming from inside the muffler, maybe a loose baffle."

I would guess the muffler is rattling, but I traced a rattle to the TTP headers that I have. The bends in a few of the pipes are very close together and at lower RPM's, they can rattle. Also, I just got a Dansk Sport muffler and there is some rattling that comes out until the engine warms up.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
"I have Che's muffler on my 02 S and it makes a rattling sound as well. Porsche dealership said it was coming from inside the muffler, maybe a loose baffle."

I would guess the muffler is rattling, but I traced a rattle to the TTP headers that I have. The bends in a few of the pipes are very close together and at lower RPM's, they can rattle. Also, I just got a Dansk Sport muffler and there is some rattling that comes out until the engine warms up.

Ed

You can always eliminate the rattle you have by placing a spot of weld between the 2 header pipes that rattle, thus linking them and stablizing them which eliminates the rattle.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #6

exhaust

I have a 2001 S Speed Yellow the old oem muffler did not make the noise I will have the dealership check on it. Also, I purchase the headers from Che and now I am concern about the 02 sensor issue why would he sell something that wont work on the boxster i dont know but now I am freaking pissed off. He said that it will work once my mechanic verifies the info i would let you guys know.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
What year and engine size is your boxster?
I have Che's muffler on my 02 S and it makes a rattling sound as well. Porsche dealership said it was coming from inside the muffler, maybe a loose baffle.
I have had mine for 6 months and it has not gone away. Maybe if we both call Che and tell him he might be able to fix it or send a new one out.

I dont know what year yours is, but be carful, my 02 S has BOTH O2 sensors on the headers, and therefor NO after market header will work without a CEL.
Che was working on a solution, but the computer is looking for a O2 sensor before and after a cat converter.

James
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #7

Well the more I looked into it the worse it got. The bottom line is that I have 4 O2 sensors, and 2 must be before the cat, and 2 must be after it.
For Che’s headers to work in MY car, I would have to have the mechanic drill and weld a bung in the secondary pipes. Two before and two after the cats.
As you may notice Che's headers do not have a Cat in them like fabspeeds, so you must move your 4 O2 sensors down stream a little into the secondary cats, before and after. This requires lengthening the wires to the O2 sensors.
I have heard that with longer wires comes more electrical resistance in the wire, and that’s how the O2 sensor send information to the computer. This will lead to a wrong value and a possible UNFIXABLE cel.

If you have this situation, and you want after market headers, then buy the fabspeed ones with the cat and then have someone drill and put the O2 sensor after the Cat, and hopefully you won’t have to extend the wires much, and it would only be to 2 sensors rather than 4.
James

jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote