Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

Oil Change tools???

Wow, I changed my own oil in my garage the process was a bit of a pita since I didnt have the proper oil filter removal tool so I used a universal gripper type to remove the filter, also I used an allen wrench to remove the oil filter plug. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 0W40.

Since I am not a mechanic can anyone tell me what measurement is the allen tool and the oil filter tool PLEASE? My car was in storage for the whole winter I was even comtemplating on letting her go since I dont use her that much but once I got back on her seat and took her out I couldnt come home I forgot how much fun this baby is to drive. I'm keeping her and she's all mine

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #2

I believe the oil drain plug uses a 8mm and the oil filter is 74mm. Personally I would buy the Porsche oil filter tool as I had problems finding a good compatible filter wrench. Ended up with two useless filter wrenches since O'Rielly auto parts doesn't have a good return policy.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #3

Thumbs up Exactly right

8mm Allen wrench for the oil plug and 74mm filter housing wrench. The Oil drain plug gets 37 ft-lbs torque and the filter housing gets screwed back on with 19 ft-lbs torque. Remember to always use a new aluminum crush-ring seal on the oil drain plug and use a new rubber O-ring (comes with filter) on the filter housing. Apply a small amount of motor oil to the rubber O-ring before you put the filter back on.

My last oil change before the one I just did myself was by the Porsche dealer. Those knuckleheads put my filter on soo tight it was a ******************** to get off. They obviously did not follow the service manual specs of 19 ft-lbs torque +/- 1 ft-lb.

Last edited by 2000SoCalBoxsterS; 05-06-2007 at 01:04 AM.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #4

What type of torque wrench do I need? I have found numerous on ebay and on Sears, which one will be a good all around performer for my diy mechanical duties???

Some come with dual purpose other dont, just looking for the best option
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #5

I'd get one that can do between 10-100 lb.-ft, so you can do the light stuff (like oil drain bolts) and the heavy stuff (like wheels) with one device.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:54 AM   #6

simple solution to remove oil filter

Just fix 2 jubilee type clips (the ones with a flat worm drive) around the filter housing right at the top near the aluminium casting and tighten quite tightlly.
Tap one of the screw heads with a hammer to loosen the over tightened housing slightly then spin it off with your hand.
trevorhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #7

Garage
You might also fill the filter canister with oil. Although the pump gets pressure quickly, why not make it even faster?
Old 01-13-2022, 03:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorhp View Post
Just fix 2 jubilee type clips (the ones with a flat worm drive) around the filter housing right at the top near the aluminium casting and tighten quite tightlly.
Tap one of the screw heads with a hammer to loosen the over tightened housing slightly then spin it off with your hand.
Please stop
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Please stop
LOL, right! (and it's definitely NOT a question)

Simple solution?

Don't over tighten canister. Looks like that housing has seen it's share of turns w large set of pliers/vice-grips
Old 01-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #10

Good to know that your Porsche dealer will sell you a package consisting of a new oil filter canister along with the filter.

Occasionally installing this, means you keep the drainback valve fresh. That valve is changed every time with metal disposable filters, but they are an environment problem.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:47 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Good to know that your Porsche dealer will sell you a package consisting of a new oil filter canister along with the filter.

Occasionally installing this, means you keep the drainback valve fresh. That valve is changed every time with metal disposable filters, but they are an environment problem.
How are the metal disposable filters any more problematic to the environment than a cannister filter? I'm listening.