Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 07:30 AM   #1

Front Luggage Compartment Light Inop

Do you any of you lads know which fuse might be related to the front luggage compartment light? Mine doesn't work, and the bulb itself is not at fault.
A check of the fuse index sheet inside the fuse block panel has proven to be of no help, as neither luggage compartment light seems to be mentioned. Are they perhaps not fused?
Thank you,
Ronzi
'99 Boxster
Speed Yellow/Black

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:45 PM   #2

Either Tool pants or Loren [Renntech], spoke of a microswitch that shuts the light off when you close front hood.

I would see if there is a switch located under the plastic cover, where the latch hooks up. It is simple enough to check.

Update: There is switch in the latching mechanism, you need to pull the plastic cover [between the lights], looks like screws but are not [turn 45 degrees out of norm to release], then remove two nuts located on the inside of the trunk compartment [under the gray insulating material], that will release the latch.

Mine is sporadic at times also...

Scott

Last edited by mrmickeymouse; 06-01-2004 at 02:13 PM.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:02 PM   #3

Much obliged for the quick response. I will have a look at that switch.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:03 PM   #4

New style switch went into production mid-Feburary 2000 and your car is older than that......
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 AM   #5

I pulled off the plastic panel and had a look inside the mechanism. After some poking and prodding, I determined that there is a plastic plunger which is apparently pushed in when the hood is closed. Manipulating it by hand caused the light to go on. When I closed and re-opened the hood, the light was out again, so it appears that there is something amiss with that plunger apparatus.
At least I now know where the fault lies.
Much obliged for the help.
Ronzi
'99 Boxster
Speed Yellow/Black
Old 06-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #6

Sometimes the little lever that activates the microswitch, becomes soft with use, you may be able to bend it up, and then it will oprate correctly.

Any good electronics store [except for Radioshack] will have a reasonable priced switch, that you can swap out, if bending the arm does not correct the problem.

Scott

mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote