Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #1

996TT engine into a boxster?

I've read that fitting a 996TT engine under a Boxster is possible, and if fact people have done it. My questions are:

1) What modifications are necessary to get the engine to mount to the transaxle. It probably isn't bolt on, I'm sure.

2) Does anyone know the dimensions of the TT engine? I'm thinking of using the same concept (TT engine, Boxster trans) in a project car of mine, and I would like to see if it will take a lot of SawzAll love, or just a little SawzAll love.

Thanks for the input.

speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

At the very least, you need to find a home for the intercoolers. Sounds like the sawz all will be busy removing the rear trunk for some additional room. I beleive the TT, sans all the turbo plumbing, should be within a few inches of the boxster motor. The issues, of course, are the plumbing for the turbos. Let us know how your project comes out
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #3

I know on a 996t the intercoolers are fitted over the rear wheel wells, wouldn't work on a 986.

i'd love to see pics if you do cram that engine in a 986 and no doubt that'd be an absolute BEAST!
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #4

intercooler in the rear trunk:

http://www.ramis-porsche.com/rsfinal.htm
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
intercooler in the rear trunk:

http://www.ramis-porsche.com/rsfinal.htm
that's badass!! so, roughly 450hp in a 986...
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #6

I am planning a 3.6 into my S when my 3.2 gets tires (or blows up, etc. lol). While I absolutely LOVE the idea of a factory 996TT motor into a Boxster, I wish Rami had given more information regarding this turbo setup. I imagine you'd run something like a pair of GT25s. Now, given that these blocks really arent rebuildable, would you open the motor and install lower compression pistons and hope the cylinders hold, or just leave the motor alone and run low boost on the turbos?

I'm also particularly curious how long this motor is going to last.....

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Now, given that these blocks really arent rebuildable, would you open the motor and install lower compression pistons and hope the cylinders hold

I've seen companies that wil increase the displacement of the engines by fitting larger cylinders and pistons. The biggest yet was a 4.0L TT engine (there's no replacement for displacement AND lots of boost). If you had this done, they could fit low CR pistons at the same time. If you want names though, I'll have to get back to you.

speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote