Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Refinishing/ re-truing wheels

I have a set of Porsche Hollow Spokes on my Boxster, and I just found out while getting tires mounted that I have one rear which is slightly bent. I know the wheel refinishing shops claim to be able to re-true to what they advertise as even better tolerances than the factory, but how reliable and durable is such a repair, esp on a wheel like a hollow spoke?

Any input would be appreciated.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #2

Bump? Jim, help please? lol

Patrick
Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
DrRoentgen

I had two repaired and they are more perfect than I would have imagined, just make sure you pick a good shop. Keystone wheel on the east coast is awesome, be prepared to have the wheel refinished as the press involved does scratch the finish. I see you are in Rochester, Keystone is in PA I think, if you can't find them let me know and I'll check with my body shop guys..
Old 04-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #4

Well I found a local company that all the car dealers and indy shops recommend, he has what sounds like a great process of hydraulic straightening and a UV curing paint process. He's doing my two rears while we mount new tires and if all goes well I'll have him do the fronts when it comes time for new tires there.

Patrick
Old 04-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
DrRoentgen

Good luck, sounds like you have the right connections. One body man told me he has seen many bent Porsche wheels. I'm not sure if it's due to curb scrapes or the low profile tires and road hazards. All I know is it has made a great difference in my car.