Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 11:49 AM   #1

Question 97 Boxster Alarm

I am a newbie to the forum, but really like the information offered here and I know I am going to enjoy being a member.

I have a 97 Boxster and recently when I lock the doors with the remote the horn will sound and the LED flashes twice in its sequence. According to the manual it means that there is a door or trunk lid open. I have checked each door, trunck lids and center console. The contacts seem OK because the interior and trunk lights are all working properly. Does anybody know of a way to check what the system thinks is still open?

Thanks alot for any insight.

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:35 AM   #2

The lock for the storage box in the center console has a micro switch. The latch for the front trunk has a micro switch. The radio has a micro switch. All these switches are tied to the alarm system and if something is wrong with the switch the alarm will beep.

Most common is the switch for the trunk. Open the lid and with a screwdriver push on the latch and close it. See if the trunk light goes out.

Next it the one for the radio. Do you have the original radio.

For the storage box you have to remove the console and test it with an ohm meter.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice Tool Pants.

I think it must be the radio. I recently added the rear speaker kit and removed the radio. When I re-installed the radio, it seemed to snap back into the chassis correctly. Would you know where the switch is on the radio so that I might check it? I have the standard Becker 210 radio.

Thanks again for your help! I would have never thought there was a switch on the radio.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:31 PM   #4

These are pictures of the 220 radio alarm contact and the insulator on the radio. I think the 210 is a bit different but I do not remember.

Pull the radio out and see if there is something to insulate the metal body of the radio from the alarm contact.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote