Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #1

Ksport Coilovers

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4208_4210/products_id/35789

Anyone tried these yet? Any opinions on how they differ from PSS9s?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #2

Wow, I'm interested on some feedback on these as well... +1

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #3

The signature of Forum member der Geist lists the Ksport coilovers installed on his Boxster.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:42 AM   #4

Good eye! I've met him... I'll PM him and ask him to comment on this thread for us.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #5

It's a little long-Sorry

I would be happy to throw in my $.02 Randall. I would like to say up front that I have no experience with PSS9's or JIC/Cross coilovers. If anyone near Cleveland has the PSS9's and wants to compare rides let me know. I am just going to put up my post that is on Renntech.org If anyone wants to read the entire thread they can find it here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11342
There is another member named Jinster that has the G4 brand. Maybe he can chime in here as well. There is a company in Australia that sells the G4's for around $1100.00 US including shipping via Air Mail. His ebay user id is http://stores.ebay.com/Just-Jap-Auto-Imports Both the Ksports and the G4's seem to be identical to the JIC with pillow ball front mounts. Great for track setups since the stock Boxster setup limits the amount of camber you can use. The only difference I could see is the G4's are made in Korea and the Ksports are made in Japan. And the G4's are a much cooler blue than my orange ones.....

QUOTE:
I have just completed installing my new coilovers this weekend. I have the Japanese version that are sold under the brand name Ksport here. I bought them from a company in Brooklyn for $1106.00 delivered. They appear to be all tip top quality. Did the install myself using the pinned guide posted here by Graeme. Hats off to Graeme for the great guide/instructions and the folks at Renntech for keeping this board going and posting all the useful info. The job was not that difficult at all just a little time consuming. My first impression after getting the car back on the road was HOLY COW!! The car is like a whole different beast. I must say that I have never enjoyed driving a car as much as I have since I put on these coilovers. The car drives like it is on rails and really grips the road tightly. I feel almost invincible in it. The springs control the ride height so it is a really simple matter to jack up the car, remove the wheel and raise or lower the height. Should be very handy for DE days and if I decide to do an autocross or two this year. I have 17" wheels on my car so I decided to lower it 1 1/2" and it looks really badass. Ksport USA says these are 36 way adjustable and the ride height can be dropped from 0 to 3 inches. I have them set on the softest setting and it is still a good bit stiffer than stock. It's pretty bumpy on some of the city streets (which in all honesty are ravaged from the freeze/thaw cycle here) but very drivable on most roads especially the interstates. The firmest setting would have to be for track days only. With them set at the firmest setting I think I wouldn't last more than 30 minutes behind the wheel without getting a severe headache or arm strain. I still have to get the alignment this week but I highly recommend this mod to anyone who wants their car to sit lower or handle better. Also-my wife bought me a front strut tower brace for Christmas and that seemed to make a BIG improvement as well. Best $100 <30 minute mod there is. I always thought that my boxster's steering was just a bit on the sloppy side but after these two improvements I can say with absolute certainty that this is the best handling car I have ever owned. Can't wait for the first DE at Mid Ohio so I can really test these out.

A couple of additional tidbits-
The company I bought them from was Ultra Rev. Google Ksport and it should be at the top of the list. Speak to Ray, he was extremely helpful. The Porsche ones are not stocked in the states and from what I understand and are all built in Japan when ordered. I would allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.

You may have to get spacers once you have these on your car. As I understand it this is a common problem with all the coilovers if you have 10" or 10.5" rims.

There are helper springs included with the kit but not mounted. If you have an impact wrench you can put the helper springs on with no problem. If you don't have an impact wrench you can still put them on but it will take a little longer.

The Boxster has been stored all winter but the last couple of weeks I have been driving the hell out of her whenever I can. The ride is extremely enjoyable, I seem to have gotten used to it but be warned-even at the softest it is still pretty stiff. Don't bring any drinks in the car or you'll be wearing them. I promise you. I love the ride though. Steering seems much more responsive-almost instantaneous.

All in all I am very happy with my Ksports. Ray at Ultra Rev was super. After I got the kit I had a couple of questions and everyone (especially nick in tech support) was extremely helpful.

There is one other thing to consider and that is price. I don't always buy the cheapest thing but I am value minded. All my years in importing have taught me that the most expensive is not always the best. Things are not the same as they were years ago and manufacturing techniques have changed drastically. There is no reason anyone should be afraid of these because of the price. In fact, many of the major branded items are all made overseas and use the same guys. Did everyone see the poison pet food list? The cheapest to the most expensive brands were all using the same tainted raw foodstuffs. So much for spending more for a better product. I'm just glad my dog and cat are on dry food!

PS-Don't forget the alignment after changing over!!

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor

Last edited by der Geist; 03-29-2007 at 08:45 PM.
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #6

Exactly as der Geist said.

I have had this setup on my car for a few months now. It started with a leaking OEM shock. The G4 from Just Jap cost AUD$1300 for the set. I bought it coz I lost faith in German technology (failed MAF ×2, failed ABS control unit, leaking suspension, cracked tiptronic casing, all within a year, all OEM German parts). I believe they are made in Taiwan. But it could be Korea. I am not sure.

There are lots of similar brands out there that appear to have come from the same mould. D2, G4, Ksport, etc. Rumour has it that it's UK technology licensed to Asian manufacturers.

From the ride point of view, two major points:
1. Fantastic handling around corners. Feels like a go-kart. It grips better and I can read when it's about to give way much better than with the OEM setup. It does inspire confidence more as I take corners quicker and it feels more in control. I don't just say this coz I push it harder now that I think I have a better suspension setup. There is a >90° corner on my way home from work that the OEM setup would understeer if I do 60kph, it stays put nicely now with the G4 setup.

2. The ride is very harsh even on the softest setting despite the 24 way damper adjustability via a twisty nob. There is a speed hump that I could previously take at 50kph with the OEM setup. I tried it at around 40kph the other day on the G4 - I was thrown up away from my seat about 10cm high as the car followed the hump gradient down without cushioning the ride. This was on the hardest setting though. Adjustment is easily done within 5 minutes if you want to play with it before your drive.
--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #7

Randal,
I drove Der Geists car and it was pretty awsome, felt like I was driving a go cart is the best way I can describe it. I think you will really like the coil overs. Come on back to Ohio the weather getting nice Im sure Marty will let you drive his car.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:56 AM   #8

Im sure Marty will let you drive his car.[/QUOTE]

You got that right Matt. Anytime you want Randall you are welcome to take her for a spin.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote