Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #1

goodyear?

anybody using goodyear ?

550spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
DrRoentgen

550, when I was looking for tires I found a good comparison and customer feedback on www.tirerack.com ( I hope it's ok to post links, sorry Bruce if not). Anyhow, one of the products was a goodyear tire and it got decent reviews, good luck with the decision.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #3

I hate Goodyear Tires. I show some of my cars and am required to keep them because they were original equipment and a tire change would cost me points. Otherwise I'd tear them off and burn them!

Whew, I feel much better now. Sorry.

I'm partial to Michelin and Yokohama.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #4

I have Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires and I like them. $800 installed for 4. I've only had them for a couple months so I can't say anything about how long the last or how they wear. They're fantastic in the rian and they're better than the pirellis on dry pavement. They're quieter too.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:39 AM   #5

Hi,

@550, the Goodyear F1's are excellent Tires. Some people just like to p*ss in others Kix, so I wouldn'y pay much heed to that. Goodyears weren't always the best value in Tires, but I think as others have gotten much more expensive, this isn't so true as it once was...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 AM   #6

Yeah, that's what it is. It's not that they're loud, and while dry traction is excellent, wet traction is downright dangerous. It's not that the ride is unecessarily rough and unpleasant as compared to the others I mentioned. It's just that I wanted to piss off the omnipotent one.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
DrRoentgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Yeah, that's what it is. It's not that they're loud, and while dry traction is excellent, wet traction is downright dangerous. It's not that the ride is unecessarily rough and unpleasant as compared to the others I mentioned. It's just that I wanted to piss off the omnipotent one.

Who is that? A goodyear engineer? I have to agree with what you said about GY tires, never liked them. However, I respect the right of each auto enthusiast to select how they want to maintain their vehicle.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #8

Car & Driver did a good comparison of a stack of different tires. It's a little dated now (December 2005) but I think most of the tires are still being sold. This article is what got me thinking about the F1s last year when I had to replace my rears, but I decided to wait until this year when all 4 would be done with the new tires.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10252/tire-test-the-quick-and-the-tread.html
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #9

I have had Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires for about a year now and so far, so good on the streets. Quiet, good traction in dry and wet, reasonably priced, and most importantly, a cool looking tread pattern (Well, it's important to me.) I, too, have kept away from Goodyears in the past but the generally good reviews and the fact that they are manufactured in Germany rather than Goodyear's usual sources, I took the chance. Let's see how well the tires hold out over time and miles. I read somewhere that the sidewalls are a little soft for tracking. My disclaimer is that the only comparison I have with the Boxster is a set of old Pirellis, which weren't so quiet and grippy. Tire performance is somewhat subjective so, of course, YMMV.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #10

I replaced Michelin's with Goodyear F1's and have been very pleased.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #11

I have Good Year Eagle F1 on my turbo mx6 - fantastic tyres, quiet, VERY GOOD traction in wet. Cost $150AUD each for 17'' 3 years ago. Still at least 20% tread left.

I also have Good Year Revspec RS02 ($300AUD each for 17'' the rears) on the Boxster - which, in Australia, replaced F1 as the top of the line for Good Year. Again, fantastic. Kicked the Pirelli P Zero's a$$ which I had on before the Revspec.

Other tyres I had include Michelline SportPilot and Dunlop LeMan 702.

--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote