Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #1

Thumbs up Baseline Dyno '02 986 2.7L at Bisimoto Engineering, Project Chaudanova986 Part 1!

Hey Guys, I wanted to share my results with everyone here. I have a 2002 986 2.7L, bone stock, with the exception of a "desnorkle".

I went to Bisimoto Engineering for a baseline dyno for the 2.7L, and will be working with Bisi to test and tune, and showcase Bisi's upcoming Porsche performance line. As Bisi has the 3.2L, and will be showing what gains can be had on that motor, I'll be contributing real world gains on the 2.7L for everyone here to see.

For those who don't know Bisi, he is a great guy, and has a very extensive background in the pro race scene, and is now bringing all of his knowledge to the Porsche world.

Here we go, here is my baseline from the DynaPack:

As you can see, on this run, we had a baseline of:

194.9 HP
175.2 lb-ft Torque

Here are some pictures as well:

Here is a short video clip of the run: (by the way, that is not me that walks up at the end of the clip).

******************************** width="425" height="350">

It's pretty quiet, since it is pretty much stock, for now. We'll keep everyone tuned for updates on this project, when we add headers, exhaust, and more.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts

Last edited by chaudanova; 03-22-2007 at 08:48 PM.
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #2

Thanks for the info! Keep us posted! I'm curious as to the dyno set up?? I've not seen one like that where the rear of the vehicle is freely suspended and not held down by any clamps..etc. Very interesting!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
Thanks for the info! Keep us posted! I'm curious as to the dyno set up?? I've not seen one like that where the rear of the vehicle is freely suspended and not held down by any clamps..etc. Very interesting!
Oh definitely, I'll keep everyone here posted on everything. They dyno setup is a Dynapack chassis dynamometer.... great setup compared to the traditional roller style dyno's... it uses hub adapters and power absorption units... very accurate. I'm no expert on it though, but I'm sure Bisi or the guys at Dynapack could give you some more information on it

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #4

I'm really glad to see this. I put a new exhaust on my car last year and now that it is warming up outside it's time to get my intake on and get it chipped. After that I plan on getting a dyno as well to see what she is putting out.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 AM   #5

Interesting data, I look forward to seeing what happens with mods. Do you know how HP numbers with this style dyno compare to a roller-style dyno? Are there addition frictional losses on a roller-style dyno that would give lower numbers, thanks

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Exclamation

That is a great question. Roller style dynos use the ability of the test vehicle to overcome a large interial roller to calculate torque, and eventually horsepower. Inertial dynos are horrible as a tool to tune vehicles at partial throttle and steady state parameters due to its key purpose: relying on sweep runs to yield data.

The tyre interface introduces many variables as well: tyre growth, tyre adhesion (or lack therof on high hp applications), tyre sizes, pressure of strapping down to dyno, wheel alignment...all of these can skew/marr results.

In regard to peak power, my dyno unit reads 7hp less than a local dynojet (6 miles away from my current facility). As I have spoken to local tuners, cost of investment in this type of dyno is the main reason why shops shy away from the Dynapack unit that I have.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #7

Dyno Results

That 2002 car was suppose to produce 217 HP at 6400 RPM. What is your take on the dyno results that show more like 195HP?
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...rivewayic1.jpg
tomk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Lightbulb

Very simple, Tom. Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss, 194.9whp = 224.135 crank horsepower: on par with a desnorked, broken in engine. Porsche is also notorious for under-estimating HP figures.

Losses occur through the gearbox, and other drivetrain components: axles, hubs, bearings, et cetera. I hope that answers your question.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk17
That 2002 car was suppose to produce 217 HP at 6400 RPM. What is your take on the dyno results that show more like 195HP?
Yes, Tom, Factory power ratings are usually rated at the crankshaft, not at the "wheels".