Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #1

Glass tops....

I searched a bit before posting and couldnt find anything, so I have to ask, what is it exactly that prevents one from installing the 03-04 986 car glass backlight top into a 97-02? I assume that it involves far more than just changing the top and becomes rather cost prohibitive, but it has to be possible, no?

Very interested to hear from those who know on this.....

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #2

Hi,

It is possible, but at a cost of some $7k+. The Top was redesigned and folds differently for the Glass top than the Plastic window model.

It has an extra spar in the frame and so the entire thing needs to be replaced. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #3

They changed the design of the top to accommodate the glass. I believe the 97-02 model top has three crossover supports, the newer one has four (this is to allow it to fold tighter and around where the glass window goes). As I understand it the redesigned system changed the top, -and- the mechanics of the top raising/lowering system, thus it's not just switching out the canvas.

-David

doh, Jim beat me too it.
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #4

Well that makes alot of sense. I've never actually studied how the factory glass folds, but looking at its size and the way our plastic folds in half I knew something was different. So, $7k for factory glass or under $2k for GAHH or Robinson and I think I'll choose the latter even with the loss of visibility.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:38 AM   #5

Gahh and Robbins make aftermarket tops with glass window (which I install) the window is somewhat smaller though, but I think its the best way to go for $1350.

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote