Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #1

Boxster won't start

Hi. Im new here. I sold my Acura NSX and bought a 2002 Boxster in January. I have a consistant repeating problem that I'm looking for some help. I looked through the last 5 pages of this forum and didn't find any ideas.

Occasionally (about three times a week)... When I unlock the door, sit down, and turn the ignition key the dashlights come on (it has 12 volts), but it does not crank the starter. Just sits with the key in start position. The clutch is on the floor, the position of the shifter handle makes no difference.

I think this might be a problem with the alarm cutoff because if I wait for 3 minutes or get out and lock the door, then unlock and try again... it starts normally.

Anyone have some advice?
Thanks!!!! :dance:

Boxster411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #2

?

I'll throw a possiblity in:

Faulty ignition switch?
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #3

Ignition switch trouble?

BobMarley.

A clever idea because with electrical stuff anything is possible, but I have tried turning the key on and off several times... nothing works until the doors are relocked or 3 minutes time has elapsed.

Thanks!
:ah:
Boxster411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #4

Another very real possibility is your clutch interlock switch. Your clutch must be fully depressed for the vehicle to start. Many report hearing a kind of "click" when they depress it. If you are fully depressing the pedal and it isn't starting - perhaps the switch is faulty...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #5

Yes, quite possible too.

It's strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Another very real possibility is your clutch interlock switch. Your clutch must be fully depressed for the vehicle to start. Many report hearing a kind of "click" when they depress it. If you are fully depressing the pedal and it isn't starting - perhaps the switch is faulty...

BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote