Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 05:12 AM   #1

Project Lazarus

I just bought an 87 928 S4. It hasn't been driven for 7 yrs (maybe less). The owner recently passed away and the estate wanted the car gone. I love a good adventure, so a friend and I drove 3 hrs with a U-Haul truck and trailer to go get it.

Tale of the tape:
81K mi
automatic
started life in CA with stops in IL, IN, and finally IA. no rust
amazingly CarFax goes back to 1991 and 30K - no accidents listed
it has been repainted
seats are in surprisingly good shape
cracked dash

It is a cat in the sack, as I don't know if the engine runs but is has good oil in the block. The plan is to get it running and cleaned up (should double in value at that point). Then I'll access what needs fixing - headlights, sunroof, etc, fixing what I can to make it more valuable. If that goes well and I feel really adventurous, I may tackle the timing belt & water pump. But that's quite a ways down the road. I plan to sell it in some sort of running state as a project for the next owner.

So to get it running, I'll pull the gas tank and have it cleaned. Should I blow out the gas lines or replace them? Once the fuel delivery is good to go, anything else I should check before trying to start?

While I had it on the trailer, I stopped at a car wash and got the leaves and pollen off. These pics are prior to the wash. My brother says I'm crazy. We'll see. Should make a nice winter project.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I just bought an 87 928 S4. It hasn't been driven for 7 yrs (maybe less). The owner recently passed away and the estate wanted the car gone. I love a good adventure, so a friend and I drove 3 hrs with a U-Haul truck and trailer to go get it.

Tale of the tape:
81K mi
automatic
started life in CA with stops in IL, IN, and finally IA. no rust
amazingly CarFax goes back to 1991 and 30K - no accidents listed
it has been repainted
seats are in surprisingly good shape
cracked dash

It is a cat in the sack, as I don't know if the engine runs but is has good oil in the block. The plan is to get it running and cleaned up (should double in value at that point). Then I'll access what needs fixing - headlights, sunroof, etc, fixing what I can to make it more valuable. If that goes well and I feel really adventurous, I may tackle the timing belt & water pump. But that's quite a ways down the road. I plan to sell it in some sort of running state as a project for the next owner.

So to get it running, I'll pull the gas tank and have it cleaned. Should I blow out the gas lines or replace them? Once the fuel delivery is good to go, anything else I should check before trying to start?

While I had it on the trailer, I stopped at a car wash and got the leaves and pollen off. These pics are prior to the wash. My brother says I'm crazy. We'll see. Should make a nice winter project.
Is it a belt, not a chain? I'd change the timing belt first! I don't know if it's an interference engine or not, but if it has been sitting for so long, I wouldn't risk it breaking while trying to get the engine running.

P.S. Looks like a fun project! She'll clean up nicely! Best of luck!

Last edited by piper6909; 11-05-2019 at 05:31 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Is it a belt, not a chain?
It's a belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I'd change the timing belt first! I don't know if it's an interference engine or not, but if it has been sitting for so long, I wouldn't risk it breaking while trying to get the engine running.
Point taken. But it's a massive job changing the belt with all the crap you have to remove before getting to it. At this point I don't even know if the engine actually runs. If I get it running, I won't be doing a bunch of driving - prob just moving it around. I know it could break at any time, regardless of how it's being driven. Will probably lean towards replacing it myself if the engine does run. But going to the effort to change it before knowing if it runs could be a lot of wasted work. Like Tom Cruise says, "Sometimes you've gotta say WTF".

Last edited by husker boxster; 11-05-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

928's are dangerously addicting. I have three in various states of disrepair.

1st thing - use the Rennlist 928 group - lots of information for everything you'll need to do.

2nd and 3rd - it's an interference engine. Don't risk an old belt - if it breaks you'll have valves and pistons meeting in ways you don't want them to. Replace the fuel lines before you even attempt to start the engine. 928's like to burn when old fuel lines break.

Have fun - keep us informed.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

fascinating combination of green algae and black mold. an automotive petri dish.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post

1st thing - use the Rennlist 928 group - lots of information for everything you'll need to do.

2nd and 3rd - it's an interference engine. Don't risk an old belt - if it breaks you'll have valves and pistons meeting in ways you don't want them to. Replace the fuel lines before you even attempt to start the engine. 928's like to burn when old fuel lines break.

I've been reading a lot on Rennlist and will defn be posting there with questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
fascinating combination of green algae and black mold. an automotive petri dish.
This morning I was able to knock most of the green junk off the moldings. Pics to come.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #7

SHARK!!!

Hope all goes well in bringing another back from [almost?] having a wheel or two in the grave.

Good luck
Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Racer Boy

Good for you for rescuing one of the coolest cars that Porsche made. Please keep us informed on your progress with the project!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Good for you for rescuing one of the coolest cars that Porsche made. Please keep us informed on your progress with the project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
SHARK!!!

Hope all goes well in bringing another back from [almost?] having a wheel or two in the grave.

Good luck
Thanks. I'll keep everyone informed as I move ahead. That's why I started this separate thread vs updating my Wheeler Dealer thread. Figured this one is good for its own conversation.

Hopefully it doesn't prove too daunting. My brother said his indy mechanic friend won't work on sharks and I'd be stupid to buy it (and I've been warned!). I can understand why his mechanic wouldn't take them on - if he's chasing a problem he could run up a huge bill. But my time is free, so I can afford to chase a few shadows. Who knows? I might have an alley cat or a Persian or something in between.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post

Soon after winning the lottery I will own the best 928 on earth!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

I regret not buying a 86 928 S 5 speed i found in Germany on the lemon lot for $8500. Always loved the sound, lots of torque too. Good luck getting her going again.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
LOL and +1
Hope your credit card is bulletproof!

I love the transaxle Porsches, but that was the 80s, and it'll cost a lot to recapture that feeling. And in my car owning experience, "recapturing the feeling" never works out.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #14

Been doing some cleanup the last 2 days. Looks much better but the paint is still a 5 footer. Needed to use my swirl compound (mild rubbing compound) by hand to get the black off the hood. And used a bristle brush to pick the pollen / mold still left in the rubber moldings.

Will move to cleaning the interior and start getting her on jack stands to get the gas tank out. Also will read the owner's manual, as that's one of the prerequisites to be able to ask questions on rennlist.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Wow! I commend your aversion to risk and wish you the best.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #16

I replaced the hood struts, so no more 2x2 holding the hood open.

I bought a new battery. Problem is it goes in the left rear trunk and the hatch won't open with the key. I crawled into the trunk area and found there was an old battery that was disconnected. I connected it, which will allowed me to use the jumper posts in the engine compartment. I connected some jumper cables to my new battery and the jumper post to see what electrical items would work.

1st item of business was the electric trunk release. The passenger side button wasn't doing anything. The driver's side was making noise like it was trying, but the lid wasn't popping open. My neighbor happened to stop by so I had him pull the button (which is how you do it in a 928) while I pulled on the trunk lid. It came open. Yay! The 2x2 has found a new home. That lid is very heavy. I can see why the struts would wear out. I'll be able to access the lock and see why the key doesn't work in it.

Then I tried running the windows up and down. Nadda. No sounds. Might be the switches or fuses (or something worse). On to the next test.

The headlights popped up. Another yay! Obviously this is a big deal.

Tried moving the seats, as I'll need to be able to move them to get to the bolts that hold them to the floor. Want to take them out so I can better clean the carpet. They move up and down OK, which is done thru a separate knob. The front back is its own knob and both the driver & passenger knobs are broken off. Dang! However, there is enough of a stump on the passenger side to make it move fwd and back. There isn't enough stub on the driver's side but I was able to get it to move slightly. Need to find a strong, sharp plastic poker that I can try using to move it around. Also off to the Internet to find those switches. So the seats were kind of a success.

Finally, I tried the sunroof. I could hear things running but nothing was happening, so I quit before something got really wonky. There's supposed to be a hand crank at the back of the sunroof, so I may investigate that at a later date.

All in all, a fairly successful day. This week she goes up on jack stands and the gas tank comes out.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #17

My understanding of the sharks is they are " generally " reliable but are prone to electrical gremlins . I would check/clean/dielectric grease every ground point as a baseline . In the past I had a 944S that snapped a timing belt No way in hell I would risk the same fate with a 928 . Good luck with the project .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #18

Nice find and best of luck to you in bringing it back from the dead! I'm going to follow your adventures so please keep updating. I suspect you could recover your investment by parting it out if it comes to that, but I'm really hoping it is brought back to life.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #19

I'm in that stage where I'm ordering parts and removing parts. Some of the parts are arriving or will in a few days. I've got the fuel rails removed and just got the fuel injectors pulled out before lunch. Still need to disconnect them. Upon inspection, the rubber O-rings looked good - nice and plump and supple. However, I ordered new injectors and they will be going in. Rubber fuel hoses are coming. I need to verify, but I tried to siphon the gas out of the tank, but none came out. When I pulled the hose out, it wasn't wet. So maybe the tank is empty. The fuel in the rail looked fairly new.

The seat buttons for fwd / back motion arrived. When I run out of fuel system work, I'll remove the pass seat, which still has enough knob to move the seat fwd / back. Will then see what the underside of the seat looks like so I can plan an attack on the driver's seat. It doesn't have enough knob left to go fwd / back. I read an option might be to lift the seat high enough with the 2nd knob to get a wrench on the seat bolts.

I am running into issues with the key & rear lock. The only key that works in the ignition doesn't have a cap on the end of it. I've gone to 2 locksmiths. One said they couldn't cut a key because they couldn't get the blank. The 2nd thought the key I had was a valet key and wasn't sure they could cut one (they did have a blank for it). He thought he could get the trunk tumbler to work, but he suggested going to Porsche and have a key cut based on VIN. Will see where I go on this...

I found out the color is Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun). My understanding is that color was only avail in 87 & 88 and is fairly rare. When I open the garage door and let some sun into the garage, you can see it's green. I need another green car.

I also had rennlist decode my VIN. Not a lot of options other than audio stuff, but it looks like the story about it being a CA car isn't true. Maybe it started life outside of CA but spent some time there. Who knows? It's still rust free, regardless.

C02- 49 state US model
M28.42- engine serial # range 81J 05001>10000
A28.12- transmission serial # range 16 H 00001>05000

I158 - Blaupunkt radio Reno SQR46 - 87-88
I302 - Type designated on rear end
M418- Protective side mouldings
M490- Hi-Fi sound system (8 speakers, 1987-88)
M494- 87-88 Additional amp Blaupunkt BQA 80
M650- Sunroof

I posted a question on pelicanparts. Someone from KC saw my post and wants to buy my shark as a project. Have to get back to him with my decision (sell now or when it runs). I don't normally become too attached to my Wheeler Dealer cars, but the more I read about 928s, the more this one pulls at me.

Last edited by husker boxster; 11-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:47 AM   #20

Can't wait to see how the project turns out.

ivexpron is offline   Reply With Quote