Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Are German Cars More Reliable Than Others? Yes

Yes - so says J.D. Power: 5 Car Quality Myths, Busted | J.D. Power Cars

"Since the year 2000, Porsche has scored better than industry average in the VDS 14 times, even going so far as to rank highest among all nameplates in the 2010 study."

To be fair, when my Ford breaks it is 1/2 the cost to fix compared to my Porsche. So, it can literally break 2x as often and I end up at the same spot.

Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 AM   #2

I like to judge a manufacturer by it's vehicles after 10+ year old. To me that's when build quality really shows up.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 AM   #3

Garage
My 1998 Toyota Landcruiser was 14 years old and 230,000 miles when traded in; ran like new, nothing rattled, nothing shaked, burned no oil, leaked no oil, all electrical was functioning; my Audi A4 is 13 years old 126,000 miles runs like the first day I bough it from the dealer new; interior is like new, all systems are a go; my P car though 17 years old has only 38,000 miles but runs like a Porche should.

I would buy Toyota, Lexus, Audi, or Porche again and they would probably be my last vehicles ever needed heading into my senior years
Old 01-29-2018, 04:17 AM   #4

Reliable

I agree with Woody.

A friend with a BMW asked me about the reliability of my 986S.
I said. "I'll tell you in ten years".

I drove a Jeep CJ5 for 24 years. I remember changing out a fuel pump, 2 starters, and alternator over that time period. Each item cost less than $40.00 and took less than a half hour to change. I can't say that anymore.
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I like to judge a manufacturer by it's vehicles after 10+ year old. To me that's when build quality really shows up.
+1

People rag on VW/Audi/Porsche claiming they have expensive cost, and are unreliable

2 new VW’s in the garage, with a combined 45000 miles. Only routine servicing.
My 98 A4 has 242000 miles and it’s been the best car I’ve ever owned. It’s now at the age parts are wearing out. Exhaust rotted, the original MAF failed last week at 241800 miles. Who the hell gets that kind of mileage out of a MAF?

Of course I maintain my cars above factory standards. Use Shell 93, and change the oil every 5K miles.

The Boxster is a 99 with a full service history, that I will Keep on top of.
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:55 AM   #6

I'd have to say no. Japanese cars are more reliable than European and German cars specifically. German wiring in the 80's, 90s and 2000's have been horrendous in my experience.

My former Japanese cars have been flawless. Reliability and durability have been high. However. It's hard for me to drive a Japanese car anymore.
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
I'd have to say no. Japanese cars are more reliable than European and German cars specifically. German wiring in the 80's, 90s and 2000's have been horrendous in my experience.

My former Japanese cars have been flawless. Reliability and durability have been high. However. It's hard for me to drive a Japanese car anymore.
So are you saying Japanese cars last forever but you hate driving them?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

What I'm saying is I'd rather not drive a tin can with a hairblower under the hood.

I am addicted to visiting my mechanic shop more often to repair my autobahn tanks
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
My experience with 2 Porsche over 13 years has been very good. Not quite as flawless as my fleet of (12) Toyota/Lexus but really pretty good. My experience with Benz, VW, and BMW over the same period has been really disappointing, both with the cars and the dealership service depts.

Chevy truck from 2005- Better than expected reliability.
Nissan and Subaru- Worse than expected, average reliability in 100k miles.
I have not owned a Ford or Dodge since 1988 so zero experience with these.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
What I'm saying is I'd rather not drive a tin can with a hairblower under the hood.

I am addicted to visiting my mechanic shop more often to repair my autobahn tanks
I took my 2002 Toyota Prius with 204,000 mi. on a 3500 mile trip last summer to see the Eclipse. I got low 40''s, it had lots of power to run the hills of AZ, NV, CA, & OR. Cruising a 75, it wouldn't strain or lose speed in cruise & would pass slower traffic with ease. And the seats don't leave me crippled after a day on the road. Well built, check. Reliable, check.

It does have a hairblower under the hood, check. That's supercharged by hybrid electric technology.

I also have a 96 Dakota 4x4, 250,000 miles. Engine runs like a top, but does mark its territory. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. But would need deep pockets to do it.

My 01 Boxster, imho, is so far a money pit. But it was a beater when I bought it & I've been bringing back. I am continually puzzled how a car with 74,500 mi. could be this beaten up and degraded, tho. I got it cheap, but then, there's no such thing as a cheap Porsche. . .

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote