Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Finger from Volvo drivers?

So minding my own business eating miles on highway ten at ticketable speeds and the driver of a Volvo had the one finger salute ready for me as I came by. Is this normal?
I mean I'm pretty sure I don't know this guy so that rules that out
Guy looked like me, grey beard and all. Only difference I could see is I would never own a Volvo.
People never did this to me when I was on two wheels...
Anyway, I rose above it, (possibly the shock of it), and continued on my way without slowing my pace.
Anyone else had this response from people in the right lane?

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Don't worry about it. There are hosers everywhere. Here in Ohio they're more likely to be Bogarting the left lane and giving you the hairy eyeball as you pass on the right.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

It is Prius drivers here in the PNW. 60.000 mph in the left lane, flashing their high beams at anyone who dares to pass them in any lane. In the mirror you can see them practically foaming at the mouth as they yell.

I secretly wish them a raging aneurysm and go about my day.

99% of my miles are on two wheels. No one has ever attempted to confront me for my, er, excessive speed. I've been told i look like a trained killer as i ride, so that may be a factor.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Garage
Don't worry about it he was just telling you what his IQ is.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
I own a Porsche and a Volvo. Never had a problem with either. Then again, I also have a Corvette, and that should be like cats & dogs getting along with the Porsche, right? I also ride a Harley-Davidson, and a 150cc Puma scooter, and Harley guys give me dirty looks when I'm out tooling around on that thing getting my 88mpg.

I guess my bottom line is that A-holes are everywhere. I just choose not to be one of 'em. Drive, ride, enjoy your passion. Because I happen to have chosen a certain brand or whatever, that doesn't make my choice superior to yours.

Except if you have a Prius. There's no excuse for that. Dang tree-hugging, neck-beard-having hipsters. LOL (I sure hope everyone's following the humor there.)
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
It is Prius drivers here in the PNW. 60.000 mph in the left lane, flashing their high beams at anyone who dares to pass them in any lane. In the mirror you can see them practically foaming at the mouth as they yell.

I secretly wish them a raging aneurysm and go about my day.

99% of my miles are on two wheels. No one has ever attempted to confront me for my, er, excessive speed. I've been told i look like a trained killer as i ride, so that may be a factor.
Smug Hybrid drivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFAAdOBB1c

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Almost every driver believes this;

Anyone going faster than me is a maniac;
Anyone going slower than me is an idiot
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
eating miles on highway ten at ticketable speeds ?
Depending on what you mean by ticketable speeds.....perhaps he didn't appreciate your flaunting of the law.

I've given guys the finger when I feel they are driving like jerks and putting my safety at risk. Maybe he felt you were doing that.

Gotta admit - sometimes we all deserve getting the finger!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #9

Garage
I have on occasions deserved a finger being waved at me. I have made some A-Hole moves now and then - All hail the one finger salute.

peace out and f u all

HEHEHEHEHE all the way down the road.
Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #10

When eating miles, move out of the fast lane when you see a car behind you or go steady on the right lane. Autobahn rules (:

I miss my 08 s80, way faster in a straight line than a 986s.

V6 Turbo AWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.JonathanLanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #11

Garage
I hope to give my 03S all the room she needs (wants). I believe the Boxster was designed to give the 'everyman' the Porsche experience.
mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #12

The finger

Yes and that includes the finger. The special Porsche treatment aka jealousy. Why is it with my Boxster or 996 as soon as some people see you they want to screw with you. Going into your lane, slowing down just so that you can not pass on the right. and as soon as you move to the rite and slow down they speed up and move over. Its almost to provoke you to be an A hole "look at this typical Porsche driver". So just relax move to the slow lane and don't give them the pleasure. Until you can pass them at one holy hell great rate of speed when they do not expect it that's always fun. But then there is the finger LOL. If you drive a Porsche you are one having a midlife crisis, two have to much money, three spoiled rich kid. But our cars are less than a new Honda Accord. Just enjoy them and be ware of A holes on the road there is always THAT GUY.
pieter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #13

Down here if you do anything in retaliation to being given the finger (such as returning the gesture) the next thing you see is road rage and possibly a weapon (hand gun). This is Texas after all.

Thankfully I keep one of those in my car at all times and it's always got one in the chamber and a dozen behind that just in case someone gets crazy.

This preacher is packing heat.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
On the slippery slope

Garage
Hell, you can get a Boxster less than a USED Camry
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Down here if you do anything in retaliation to being given the finger (such as returning the gesture) the next thing you see is road rage and possibly a weapon (hand gun). This is Texas after all.

Thankfully I keep one of those in my car at all times and it's always got one in the chamber and a dozen behind that just in case someone gets crazy.

This preacher is packing heat.
Be sure to know the gun laws. I recommend "Texas Gun Law, armed and Educated" by Texas Law Shield. You can find yourself at the mercy of an emotional and uneducated jury if you ever use your gun from your car. It's best to run away and avoid gun play if at all possible in any situation. You are not entitled to "reasonableness" in the situation involving your car which means the prosecution is free to question both reasonableness and necessity. The question of force versus deadly force can also be brought up. You can be truly screwed by a criminal in this situation, they know that, and they do that.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Be sure to know the gun laws. I recommend "Texas Gun Law, armed and Educated" by Texas Law Shield. You can find yourself at the mercy of an emotional and uneducated jury if you ever use your gun from your car. It's best to run away and avoid gun play if at all possible in any situation. You are not entitled to "reasonableness" in the situation involving your car which means the prosecution is free to question both reasonableness and necessity. The question of force versus deadly force can also be brought up. You can be truly screwed by a criminal in this situation, they know that, and they do that.
Or you can ban guns...

Putting my flame suit on
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #17

James, they'd have to be pointing that gun at me with intent to shoot me or yanking me out of the car with deadly intent before they'd ever see the gun.

In all seriousness, I would hope I never have to discharge that weapon at anything except a paper target... Or a zombie.

EJ, ban guns and the thugs will not comply. We are way past that idea as a solution.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
EJ, ban guns and the thugs will not comply. We are way past that idea as a solution.
That's why you have law enforcement units.
Anyway, I don't want to ignite a firearms legislation debate, that is not the place for it
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
That's why you have law enforcement units.
Anyway, I don't want to ignite a firearms legislation debate, that is not the place for it
Yes, it would be worse that the animal we can not mention
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #20
I am my own mechanic....

Could the problem be my little boy urinating on the Audi, Volvo, VW, and BMW symbols sticker on my spoiler so they only see it when I pass them at 100 or raise it manually at a stop light?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote