Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
I listened to a 150k 2channel system a couple months ago before I bought my gallos. If anyone thinks p cars are a hobbyist money pit they need to check out some of the audiophile websites. It's even gotten to the point where guys are spending 60+ a pop on fuses! Fuses folks...makes a raby motor at 20k seem like easy money...

Fwiw that old marantz gear is uber desirable, don't make it out like jd and I have fancier taste!

I"ve witnessed turntables alone costing $150K. In fact, some of these uber systems involve high 5 figure money just on cables and interconnects.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I hear you. I was shooting the breeze last week with the tech from a local repair shop who aligned the FM section on another older Marantz I have, he showed me some of the crazy high end stuff. They had a turntable that listed for $27k, I looked at him like he was from Mars when he told me that.

You are also right on some of the gear getting expensive, ebay has driven that market wonky. Certain equipment that could be easily had for $150 to $250 3 to 5 years ago now commands $750 to $2k depending on condition.

There is definitely a reason for it though, some of the older stuff absolutely puts to shame the newer offerings. I remember you (Sgt Brad) noticing the NAD receiver in my garage a couple of years ago, it is a 7250PE model with 50 wpc and it completely decimates the 140 wpc my new Onkyo puts out, but with Home Theater you gotta have the HDMI inputs.

One thing I have tried to incorporate into anything I collect recently, keep with things that tend to appreciate in value. I REALLY wish I had more garage space, I'd be snapping up more air cooled 911's (the right ones). One the 993 forums I frequent when a nice example comes up for sale it is common for them to sell for asking price within hours if not minutes, they are getting very pricey.
You need to track down a nice early 80's Tandberg 2045, 2060 or 2080 receiver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg large_09_2011_62d8d1640443c639653caf07342fa985.gif.jpeg (119.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
You need to track down a nice early 80's Tandberg 2045, 2060 or 2080 receiver.
I have one more receiver on my radar, actually 2, only one of which I would buy then say stop; Marantz 2600 or Pioneer SX1980. In my case it is somewhat sentimental / connected to my youth, I bought a Marantz 2285B receiver new from Service Merchandise in 1979 and helped a buddy next door to me purchase a similar powered Pioneer unit. We were both totally geeked up about it at the time, weird I know, but so am I.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #24

Had quite a few hobbies before the kids. Hope to get back to some (brewing, leaving the house, etc.) once they are a little older. The hobbies now seem to revolve around maintain/improve/decorate the house/yard/pool. Have a few ongoing collections (baseball/movie memorabilia) and like to read (hardcover, sans internet). Does "fitness" also count? I've been exercising and may do one of those Spartan/Tough Mudder races.

Last edited by cfos; 09-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #25
02 box s

Mark, this one has you all over it...

Sound Offers | Pioneer SX-550

Happy hunting
Brad

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Mark, this one has you all over it...

Sound Offers | Pioneer SX-550

Happy hunting
Brad
Boy that sure is pretty. The Pioneer SX-**50 series were the cleanest looking but the Pioneer SX-**80 series have the cool watt meters on the left side that dance with the volume, VERY TRICK in it's day. I had 5 of them (picked them up here / there over the past decade) ranging from SX-780's through SX-1080's all lovingly cleaned, de-oxed, wrapped in the basement closet, sold them all recently for what I would of thought was stupid money not too long ago.

I am looking to acquire (if Pioneer) what is considered to be the holy grail of big power receiver in the late 70's, all 80 lbs worth:

How can 30-year-old receivers sound better than new ones? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

The Marantz 2600 is their equivalent from the heydays of the "Power Wars" in the mid to late 70's, it is on par or better than the above mentioned Pioneer. To hear on of these things set up with good speakers (I have 3 sets of these EV's: Flagship model Electrovoice Interface D Series II - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums) is truly an experience.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #27

Just scored another pair of EV Interface Speakers tonight, C's, they came with completely refoamed drivers and the factory EQ. At 60 some odd lbs. each, these things are rare as hens teeth. My wife is going to give me that "special" look again when she sees them, I can't help myself......

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #28

Of course I can't just let them sit, gotta order new tweeter foam surrounds and strip and refinish the walnut. They simply don't make them like this (unless you spend goofy money) anymore. For a couple of hundred bucks you end up with speakers that rival those out now selling for thousands. Like I said, I'm a geek.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
02 box s

I am just loving the multiple uses of the scissor lift...probably needed to support speakers built like a tank!

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote