Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Front bumper grilles removal

Hi Guys i hope someone can help me, I have a 2000 model boxter my front bumper
grilles are quite scratched and i was wanting to paint them, i was told i can remove them
without removing the bumper, i managed to unsnap one side as i was told they snap on and off, but i still can't get them out.
Can anyone help please ???

fiumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #2

as far as i know it would be quite difficult to remove them ( and replace them ) without actually removing the bumper.

when i painted mine i just removed the bumper. the bumper's easy to remove ( i've done it a few times now ) and gives you a chance to clean your radiators as well - something that you should do if you've never done it.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

can't remove the grilles w/o first removing the bumper. They snap around the bumper cover and are then wedged in place by the duct for the radiators. If for some reason you even were able to get them out w/ bumper cover removal, you'd have on heck of a time trying to get them back on...
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the help, i was told otherwise and stupid me when i cleaned out my radiators i did not even think of taking them off until i mounted the bumber back on.
They are quite irritating, they are off white in colour and are somewhat scratched i was wanting to paint them.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #5

in a previous post i did on painting them, someone mentioned that he was able to do it by masking off the bumper really well and painting them while they were still on. i don't know if i'd want to do it that way since i know how i tend to rush things and i'd end up painting my headlight or something.

but it's well worth it to do...

Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #6

as a quasi temporary solution, until you can pull the bumper skin again, you can try some of this on them:

Most auto parts stores here in the USA carry along w/ some hardware stores. If yours are really faded, apply it generously and allow it to soak in 10-15 minutes before wiping off. If it gets soaked in quickly just apply some more...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #7

Hi, Thanks guys, if i am not mistaking i'm understanding that these grilles on my car are and off white colour because they are faded ???? and what will that product you mentioned do ?
By the way Tony yours look great after the paint job.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiumi
Hi, Thanks guys, if i am not mistaking i'm understanding that these grilles on my car are and off white colour because they are faded ???? and what will that product you mentioned do ?
By the way Tony yours look great after the paint job.
Is your car a base Boxster or an S model? The S has silver painted grills so when they fade they may look an off white color. If you notice Tony's car they are black on his base model.
BTW, the grills are quite a bit larger than the opening so as others have said it's impossible to remove without first removing the bumper cover.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #9

it's a base model boxter and they are off white at the moment, before i actually took the bumper off i tried to get the leaves out with a vacum cleaner and i noticed they scratch easily, when the coating comes off they sort of black, that is why i am wondering are they are black in the first place. Where they wiper blades are there is that plastic trim, that is the same colour so i am thinking that the off white colour is normal although they scratch so easily.
Tony painted his to black i believe, mine seem like his ones before painted them.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #10

If i knew how to attach a picture i would do so.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #11

grill painted

when i first bought my boxie, that was the first thing i did..makes a big difference..i just masked off anything around the grills, used a tacky plastic spray first and then 15 mns later i painted them black with plastic only paint...it worked great...
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiumi
it's a base model boxter and they are off white at the moment, before i actually took the bumper off i tried to get the leaves out with a vacum cleaner and i noticed they scratch easily, when the coating comes off they sort of black, that is why i am wondering are they are black in the first place. Where they wiper blades are there is that plastic trim, that is the same colour so i am thinking that the off white colour is normal although they scratch so easily.
Tony painted his to black i believe, mine seem like his ones before painted them.
Both the cowling under the wipers and the grills were originally black. Off white color is not "normal", yours seem to be severely sun faded. The ease of scratching them verify this, the surface is dried up and is flaking off.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #13

Could also be that someone tried to wax them.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Both the cowling under the wipers and the grills were originally black. Off white color is not "normal", yours seem to be severely sun faded. The ease of scratching them verify this, the surface is dried up and is flaking off.
I think you are absolutely right, i just checked the cowling and its scratched just as easily as the grilles and its black, i also checked the grilles and on the underside they are black and the surfaces facing up are white, i wonder if its a matter of cleaning them with something like that black on black stuff or i should respray the whole lot ?

Last edited by fiumi; 11-08-2010 at 11:13 PM.