Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 08:53 AM   #1

Hello!
Just bought a 01’ 986S and I’m really enjoying it thus far. I intend to do some minor personalization to it, but for now all I want is the suspension to not sound like a rent by the hour motel bed frame. Is this generally just the lower ball joints or? If so other than OEM what do you recommend for aftermarket ball joint/arm replacement?
Cheers!

Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #2

It could be any number of things. Worn struts and sway bar bushings are very common sources of noise.

Here are some easy things to look for.

Check your bump stops - if they're trashed, your struts are probably gone.

Drive over a few speed bumps very slowly. If the squeak happens over the bump, your sway bar bushings need replaced.

Accelerate hard through slow (25mph) turns. If you notice wheel hop it's likely the rear lca's

There are a ton of options on aftermarket brands depending on the specific part, your budget, and intended purpose. I've not had any troubles with any aftermarket suspension parts (including godspeed and uro parts, which everyone bashes) but certainly guys have. Before buying a specific part, search the forum for reviews.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk