Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #1

Air Conditioning problem

2003 986 base 44,000 miles - the A/C is blowing cold ( compressor on ) for a few minutes then goes off , even when on low . Then comes back on for a while , sometimes stays on for a long time . then goes back off . Sometime when I start the car the A/C module does not even light up . when it does work , the lights on the bottom row of the dash A/C , heating control module flash . I have replaced , and checked freon , replaced A/C module ( dash control ) , replaced the A/C pressure switch . I have cleaned all fuses and relays under drivers side . I have swapped a relay that clicks ( with compressor ) with another of the same specs . I have also done the heater blender plate fix . I did have foam bits . Heat and the blender door work fine . I am interested in trying to replace the A/C compressor relay - Can someone tell me where relay box # 2 is . I have checked behind my seats but do not see a relay box . Is it behind the seats somewhere ? Do I need to remove the engine cover behind the seats ? Any suggestions for help on this A/C problem ? Thank you .

freddyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
The one and only problem I’ve had with my A/C was a faulty expansion valve located under the cowling near the A/C fill valves. It had stuck open and would freeze up then thaw and freeze again producing conditions similar to yours.

The fix was a new valve from Rock Auto for about $30 CDN and a refill of the Freon since you need to depressurize the system to swap out the valve.

Good luck.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
The one and only problem I’ve had with my A/C was a faulty expansion valve located under the cowling near the A/C fill valves. It had stuck open and would freeze up then thaw and freeze again producing conditions similar to yours.

The fix was a new valve from Rock Auto for about $30 CDN and a refill of the Freon since you need to depressurize the system to swap out the valve.

Good luck.
Thank you Paul , I replaced that valve .... and then had a refill of freon . no luck , problem persist . I appreciate ur comment . thank you .

freddyet is offline   Reply With Quote