Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #1

Seeking advise: low mileage cars, dealerships

Hello from Colorado! Been a lurker for about 6 mos learning all I can about these cars prior to purchase. It all started with a test drive in a 01 S just to see what driving a p-car was all about (yeah, the S model spoiled me from the get-go).

So I've seen a few small dealerships offering low mileage cars (~30k miles - one has 12k!) and asking $17 - 20k for base models! One is an 02 S w/ 33k and they're asking $23k. I know low mile p-cars are frowned upon, but wow... the interior/exterior is like new. My question is... assuming these cars have not had many items replaced (except maybe tires, battery..), what am I looking at cost-wise to bring the car up to snuff - generally speaking. I know I'm automatically looking at 2-4K for IMSB, but what about the rest (suspension bits, hoses, fluids.. maybe a clutch?) What about corrosion in the engine - is this a thing for low mileage cars and how do you check for it? I'm trying to figure out upgrade cost and if a low-mile car is even worth it. I can DIY up to dropping the engine/tranny. Won't I be saving $$ by not having to replace interior items and/or body/paint work?

I know dealerships get a bad rap, service docs are non-existent save the Carfax, but a PPI by an indy should reveal major issues? I'm pretty good at haggling too. I've had a few bad experiences with private parties... there are some real pieces of work out there, folks...

Zendog303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:45 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

This is the new member introduction forum. Welcome.

Have you considered taking your query to the general forum?

Welcome.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:06 AM   #3
PLP

Rubber deteriorates with age. So at 20 years old car whether it is 30k or 130k miles - suspension parts will need replacing.

Not sure about Indy, but I was told the Porsche (not dealer) places can scope the cylinder walls and say a lot about condition of the engine.
If you can afford buying, or at least renting, Durametric - it helps a lot to find out how much abuse the engine had.
The shop will do it, too.

But then shocks should be still fine, so stabilizer links. But bushings not so much (rubber).

so - 2002 for 23k at 33k miles vs 2002 for 13k with 100k miles - not sure what I would take. I guess I would go with 100k miles and save 10k USD. But that is just me.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendog303 View Post
Hello from Colorado! Been a lurker for about 6 mos learning all I can about these cars prior to purchase. It all started with a test drive in a 01 S just to see what driving a p-car was all about (yeah, the S model spoiled me from the get-go).

So I've seen a few small dealerships offering low mileage cars (~30k miles - one has 12k!) and asking $17 - 20k for base models! One is an 02 S w/ 33k and they're asking $23k. I know low mile p-cars are frowned upon, but wow... the interior/exterior is like new. My question is... assuming these cars have not had many items replaced (except maybe tires, battery..), what am I looking at cost-wise to bring the car up to snuff - generally speaking. I know I'm automatically looking at 2-4K for IMSB, but what about the rest (suspension bits, hoses, fluids.. maybe a clutch?) What about corrosion in the engine - is this a thing for low mileage cars and how do you check for it? I'm trying to figure out upgrade cost and if a low-mile car is even worth it. I can DIY up to dropping the engine/tranny. Won't I be saving $$ by not having to replace interior items and/or body/paint work?

I know dealerships get a bad rap, service docs are non-existent save the Carfax, but a PPI by an indy should reveal major issues? I'm pretty good at haggling too. I've had a few bad experiences with private parties... there are some real pieces of work out there, folks...
I just bought a 99 Base with 63.5k miles about 6 months ago for 12k out the door. Paint is in fair condition but the interior looks very, very good.

That being said, I've replaced rear track arms, rear drop links, front tie rod ends, an oil cooler fan, spark plugs, replaced the motor mount, rear brakes and pads, and an oil change.

I'm probably out ~$1250 in parts. I love the car and am very happy with it.

Radman is offline   Reply With Quote