View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #1
Zendog303

Seeking advise: low mileage cars, dealerships

Hello from Colorado! Been a lurker for about 6 mos learning all I can about these cars prior to purchase. It all started with a test drive in a 01 S just to see what driving a p-car was all about (yeah, the S model spoiled me from the get-go).

So I've seen a few small dealerships offering low mileage cars (~30k miles - one has 12k!) and asking $17 - 20k for base models! One is an 02 S w/ 33k and they're asking $23k. I know low mile p-cars are frowned upon, but wow... the interior/exterior is like new. My question is... assuming these cars have not had many items replaced (except maybe tires, battery..), what am I looking at cost-wise to bring the car up to snuff - generally speaking. I know I'm automatically looking at 2-4K for IMSB, but what about the rest (suspension bits, hoses, fluids.. maybe a clutch?) What about corrosion in the engine - is this a thing for low mileage cars and how do you check for it? I'm trying to figure out upgrade cost and if a low-mile car is even worth it. I can DIY up to dropping the engine/tranny. Won't I be saving $$ by not having to replace interior items and/or body/paint work?

I know dealerships get a bad rap, service docs are non-existent save the Carfax, but a PPI by an indy should reveal major issues? I'm pretty good at haggling too. I've had a few bad experiences with private parties... there are some real pieces of work out there, folks...
Zendog303 is offline   Reply With Quote