Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
RWC

Smile Strange Ticking from Dash

HI, I recently purchased my first Porsche, a 2001 Boxster. The car runs great and is a pleasure to drive but I have a strange problem. When it is shut off and the door is closed, I can hear a strange ticking, like a clock, coming from the dash. I noticed that the gauge needles jump a little with each tick. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues and the car starts fine if left for a week so I don't think it is draining the battery too much. I first heard it when I walked into the garage last week.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? If it helps although probably unrelated, the digital clock does not keep time correctly.
Thanks
Ron

Last edited by RWC; 04-27-2021 at 08:33 AM.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #2

Garage
Ticking noises from the dash often are caused by a stuck ventilation system door. The electric motor that is trying to turn the door ticks when the door refuses to move. Have you noticed any issues with heat or A/C?
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
RWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Ticking noises from the dash often are caused by a stuck ventilation system door. The electric motor that is trying to turn the door ticks when the door refuses to move. Have you noticed any issues with heat or A/C?
Thank you, I haven’t actually used the heat yet but i did have the air on for a bit. I will check it out!
Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
RWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
I ran both the heat and the air conditioning yesterday and it all worked fine. I thought it might have solved the issue but as of this morning, it is still “ticking”. This is with the car in the garage and unlocked. I should see if it still does it when locked

Tags
clock , dash , ticking