Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2021, 08:23 AM   #1

Childhood dream attained

Apologies in advance for longer post.

My father is a car enthusiast, and growing up I watched him purchase and sell several two-seater convertibles that he would drive only in good weather and on weekends. When I got old enough to drive, he would sometimes let me take one of his cars out and impress my date for the evening (lucky me!). Since then, I have been saying to myself and anyone else who would listen that I would also own a true 2-seat convertible ragtop one day. Time marched on, and it didn't happen in my 30's, or my my 40's, but I never forgot about it. In the last few years, I began to target 2021 as the year it would happen, as I turn 50 in September.

So, I have been searching for 'the right' car since January and prepping my wife for this sort of a purchase. My father was partial to British imports (MGs and Triumphs), so I had those on my radar. But I also have been dreaming of owning a Porsche since the 80's when I was a teenager and the 944s and 911s were posters on my bedroom wall. Dreams that never seemed attainable. So I've always had local, online sell alerts set up for Porsches, never really believing that I would ever be able to own one. But, yesterday, it happened. I found what appeared to be a really nice 2001 Porsche Boxster locally. Lapis blue with tan interior. 75k miles. Manual 5 speed. The car showed impeccably.
Then I took it for long test drive. Amazing! The dealer let me take drive it home and show the family (30 miles each way). And well, I took the plunge. It is now parked in my garage. Pinch me. Am I dreaming!! I can't believe I am a Porsche owner.

The IMS has not been replaced yet, but I am very aware of the potential issue. Any pointers, let me have 'em!

Last edited by woody3260; 04-11-2021 at 08:29 AM.
woody3260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
Perhaps the worst example

What a lovely example there, and happy to think of you to be buzzing around at the top of the world today (and as a dude who turns 50 in October, too). Welcome to a pretty incredible forum. The collection of people and information here should help continue that stoked sensation well beyond what getting in to a new car would normally or naturally feel like. I found out pretty quick that the act of jumping into a Pcar transcended any of my other car experiences. And I’d attribute that largely to the voices on this forum. Enjoy the ride. (And Jay, thank you so much!!!! Got one peeled back already)