Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

Garage
Smile First Porsche! 04 Boxster S

Just bought a clean, low mileage Boxster S a couple of months ago! After a few trips to Malibu and Angeles Crest Hwy I can comfortably say I love it!

Without surprise for a 16 year old car there are a couple things I would like to sort out...

Discovered that 2nd gear pops out on occasion when cold. Read through many of the threads and I am going to install the gbox 2nd gear detent pin asap to avoid excessive wearing of the synchro.

It's also got a short shift kit and I'm considering going back to stock. I am not racing and dont mind long throws. Any thoughts?

Lastly, the IMS retrofit was done in 2015 and has 14k miles on it. This puts it past the 5yr service interval recommended by LN Engineering but well below the 50k miles. Does anyone have experience or strong opinions about running past the service interval here?

tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

Garage
Tater. Nice car welcome to this forum. I don't know much about your model year concerning IMSB service intervals but, if it was my car... I would drop the sump plate and inspect for metal, send drained oil out for analyzing, cut open the oil filter and check that for particles of any type. Add a magnetic drain plug and spin on oil filter adapter. If everything comes back good. Then drive it and enjoy!
There is a lot of help here, and most are very knowledgeable. I don't know what year Porsche changed from a externally serviceable IMSB to the split the case type of larger bearing. Your 2004 may be one of the non serviceable type? If the car is new to you without documented reliable service records, (if that even exists!) then making sure all other routine maintenance items are up to date. I wish you all the best and enjoyment from your car.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks Phat Hippy,

I have the externally servicable single row bearing, I think they made the change a year into the 987 production, 06 I think but might be (probably) wrong. I changed the oil/filter and didnt find anything metallic in the filter but ordered a oil sample kit and mag drain plug already. I wasn't planning to drop the sump but from a lot of reading sounds like it can provide pretty good insight into engine health.
This car was dealer serviced it's whole life so I have pretty comprehensive service records! That said it's due for for a break fluid change
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
I don't know what year Porsche changed from a externally serviceable IMSB to the split the case type of larger bearing. Your 2004 may be one of the non serviceable type?
The change happened midway through MY 2005. 2004 have the single row replaceable single row bearing. Early 2005 as well, later 2005 need to open the engine.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

Garage
Congrats I have a 04S myself going on my third year of ownership. Enjoy. Rick
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #6

Garage
Sounds like you have it under control. That's awesome. I have the Motive Power Bleeder set up with the euro cap to fit reservoir. That tool made the fluid flush for my brakes a breeze...Except the clutch piston. It's hard to reach the bleed nipple, and by the time you get a drain tube on it fluid will be on the tranny. I don't think my clutch system was flushed in a long time. When I did mine it still had blue fluid in it. I think Porsche recommends clutch system flush at the same time. There are plenty of posts here regarding that.

I added a ball valve and pressure regulator to the Motive so I could use compressed air. Next time there will be less pumping and just a fluid level check between calipers.

Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote