Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

Looking to buy and use as Daily in Ohio!

Hey all, I have been obsessed with looking and learning as much about the 986 Boxster as I can over the last two months. After spending the beginning of the year looking at fun cars I can get under $20k I landed on the Boxster.

I am 27 and live in Columbus Ohio. I plan to daily this Boxster until my wife and I decide to have kids, so I still have a few years! We frequently go out in her Wrangler with everything off and I love the open air feel but have always enjoyed smaller cars. I drive a 2019 Veloster now and my lease will be up this time next year. Sadly it’s non-transferable so I guess I’ll spend the next year just window shopping and waiting.

I figured I would also use that time to really nail down what I want, and this is where you all can help. I plan to get a Boxster S around 60-80k miles. I really want Red or Blue but if it’s a clean example then I could do with anything but Silver. For the winter I just plan to have a set of winter tires and that’s it.

Any advise you have is welcome, looking forward to joining the club soon.

TacoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #2

You should define exactly what sort of a car you are seeking:

a) A fixer-upper that you can tinker with, or:
b) A ready-to-go car which requires nothing.

If b), I could perhaps become interested in selling mine as it seems to punch every one of your search parameter buttons. Not really looking to sell, so I am not highly motivated to do so. And mine would be at the very top of your price range (if not slightly above it) based upon work done to date.

I am local to you in Powell.

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:20 AM   #3

I think I am looking more for a project now. My wife and I have been talking and since I can’t get out of my lease, I could buy one that needs a a lot of work, and then work on it until my lease is up. That would give me over a year to get it while and ready for daily driving.

Both our dads are into older cars, muscle of course, but between the two of them I have access to every tool, a lift, and a paint booth. Plus that sounds like a lot of fun fixing one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TacoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSteve View Post
I am 27 and live in Columbus Ohio. I plan to daily this Boxster until my wife and I decide to have kids, so I still have a few years!
yeah, a couple of years, but not much longer. You do not want your kids to call you grandad...

Anyway, I am considering daily driving Boxster.
Who has done it?
Daily in MI... means snow is expected, temperatures way below freezing.

What shall I expect? Any special care or prep?

I might be selling Bolt.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I daily drove my 986 in rain, snow, blizzards, etc for over 12 years. It's completely doable with snow tires, I recommend picking up a second set of rims so you can swap them yourself, and go with narrower tires. If you can find 16" rims those will work well in snow, if you go with 17's run 205/225 tires. Definitely get a hardtop if you plan to park outside, and make sure the drains under the convertible top are clear. Run the correct oil, I use Castrol Edge 10W-40.

Make sure you wash the underside of the car to get the salt off frequently. These cars where treated to prevent corrosion but Porsche only warrantied that for 10 years so you may want to assess for yourself.

All that said, if you absolutely you have be somewhere during a blizzard where there is more than 4" of snow (the base 986 has 4" of clearance) you may encounter issues. I would also suggest reading up on winter driving, and recovering from skids, rev-matching helps a lot in a manual. If you drive it like you stole it on snow and ice you're going to have a bad time, ask me how I know!

Last edited by rick3000; 07-16-2021 at 02:24 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
If you drive it like you stole it on snow and ice you're going to have a bad time, ask me how I know!
I always drive like I stole it in winter.
I hear you. Thanks for the response. It looks like Boxster is... just a car.
All my cars, except the box, have set of winter wheels, so that would be covered.
As for hard top - well, might be hard one.

I drove several cars in snow deeper than the clearance and good snow tires (not brand, more plenty of thread) make huge difference.

As for skills - do not worry, I learnt how to drive driving rear engine rear drive car that was extremely oversteer.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
I always drive like I stole it in winter.
I hear you. Thanks for the response. It looks like Boxster is... just a car.
All my cars, except the box, have set of winter wheels, so that would be covered.
As for hard top - well, might be hard one.

I drove several cars in snow deeper than the clearance and good snow tires (not brand, more plenty of thread) make huge difference.

As for skills - do not worry, I learnt how to drive driving rear engine rear drive car that was extremely oversteer.
Remember they were born in Germany & it snows there alot.