Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #1

Finally introducing myself! I'm Steven and i have yellow wheels.

Hey guys, long time fan here. I bought my '01 S two years ago while i was stationed in Idaho. LN IMS was already done by the time i bought it so i was comfortable purchasing. Since purchasing I've done a few things to it
  1. Changed the soft top to a heated glass one
    First big project I've ever done by myself. Took me about 14 hours over 2 days but god damn did it feel good when i was done!
  2. Brand new suspension
    Flirted with the idea of doing this myself but the thought of a compressed spring flying out scared the **************** out of me. Possibility? Slim. Fear factor? High.
  3. New tires
    Falkien set. Not the most expensive ones but they're doing just fine
  4. Swapped dash speakers and installed a double din unit
    Used the CAI kit and some Xfinity speakers. The speaker was too big for the right section and doesn't seal completely. recently bought some new dash speaker grills so im going to try a ghetto version of the CAI mount to shorten the depth of the speaker. JVC KW-M855BW installed. Went a little pricey because i really wanted wireless apple carplay.
  5. Replaced headers and pipes
    Actually doing that this weekend so please pray for me and my bolts.
  6. Restored headlights
    Used the 3M kit. PRO TIP: Get a drill that actually matches the recommended RPM for the kit. My Harbor Freight drill was 900rpm max and the battery died twice so it took me like 5 hours to do both headlights. Also got some Ebay LED's on the way, we'll see how that goes.

Future Projects
  1. Finish going down the stereo system rabbit hole
    Looking to slap some 6.5s in the doors, rear compartment speakers, underseat sub, aftermarket amplifier. Please don't tell my fiance how much this is going to cost
  2. Finally get a wind deflector
    Seriously. It's just hard to justify 100+ dollars when there's still so many other things i want to do to it
  3. Swap brake pads
    Sooner rather than later
  4. Learn some basic welding to try out the Pedro Exhaust Mod
    Maybe I'm underestimating how difficult this task might be...
  5. Get a pair of 718 style tail lights
    Love them to death. So sexy. But at that price tag they're definitely the last item on the list

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text and thanks everyone for the help so far! This is definitely my favorite place on the internet

Last edited by Aggromuffin; 02-27-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Aggromuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #2

Garage
Nice to meet ya Aggromuffin. Post pictures of your ride! Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you busy with the car.
When you said yellow wheels, I thought you car was going to be yellow. We would have matched!
Old 02-28-2020, 04:56 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for that proper intro!

That's quite a list... and congrats on the explanation narrative. The Falkens? I've been running them on all the other vehicles I've owned for decades, particularly the Mustangs. Nice and sticky. Nothing at all wrong with them.

The car is a rabbit hole. Once you get done banging out the things on your list... you'll be starting a new list, lol.

Pics?

Have a great weekend! Cheers!
Old 02-28-2020, 05:40 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggromuffin View Post
[*]Replaced headers and pipes
Actually doing that this weekend so please pray for me and my bolts.
Welcome!! I've got yellow-ish wheels too. ;-)

so, a tip on the header-bolts; don;t start them with an impact, use your ratchet or breaker bar. Plenty of penetrating oil. Obviously. but, if you've got some which are stubborn, turn them out a thread at a time, allowing them to cool and hosing them with penetrating oil between each thread. The LAST thing you want is a broken one in the head.
Hopefully they'll be fine. I had one motor where they came out easy-peasy, and another where they were all stubborn, and after the first one broke-off, I became much more patient, hehe.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote