Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Stick lever stuck solid in reverse

I installed a short shift kit a few months ago and it’s been great. Put it in reverse just now and the level is rock solid stuck in gear with almost zero travel. I tried muscling in every direction. Pulled the boot and and looks normal. Before I get too much flack...I confess it was a knockoff of the Schell—but looked well built. Any ideas would be much appreciated before pulling the console?

2008 Toyota 4Runner
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Enough with the knock-offs. It's not a ****************ing Honda.

Ideas? Try here...

Boxster General Discussions - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners
Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

Enough with the knock-offs. It's not a ****************ing Honda.

Ideas? Try here...

Boxster General Discussions - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners
Oh, come on, now.
Don’t be one of those guys that thinks it has to have a “Porsche” or large name brand sticker on it to be a decent product.

Those “knock off” short shifters are great and the 1/10 price tag shows how much the “name brands” are overpriced. Ben builds his ball bearing short shifter with the $30 shifters from Asia.
They are very well made.

No, this is going to be a cable or trans issue.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

Garage
I got one of ebay for 45 bucks had to remake the bushings been in there 4 years now.
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post

Agreed. Because it is easy to see I'd check the linkage at the trans end first just to see if it is jammed back there. If it looks good go ahead and remove the console and see what is happening there. It takes time and patience but getting it out is not a difficult job. Coins and other crap have been know to make their way down there and can cause things to jam.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Oh, come on, now.
Don’t be one of those guys that thinks it has to have a “Porsche” or large name brand sticker on it to be a decent product.

Those “knock off” short shifters are great and the 1/10 price tag shows how much the “name brands” are overpriced. Ben builds his ball bearing short shifter with the $30 shifters from Asia.
They are very well made.

My apology to all offended. I tend to be a little cocky before I'm warmed up, and clearly that is only after 6A Pacific.

Note to self: STFU

Thank you for the behavioral correction advice. I'm swallowing that pill now.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #7

Check in the back where the shifter cables attach to the transmission. Inside the cable ends are brass sleeve inserts. There are plastic caps that hold them inserted into the shifter cable outer jacket. The caps get brittle and break, then the brass sleeve can and will slide all the way out and foul the shifter cable end, jamming it solid and making it impossible to move.

I'm going to attempt to attach two photos here - one with the brass sleeve in place with a semi broken cap still holding it it's proper place inside the shifter cable jacket. The other is a photo of the cap gone and the brass sleeve fully out of the cable jacket and fouling the cable end, rendering it immovable.

I had a very similar situation to yours, this situation is what it was. To repair it, simply slide the brass sleeve back into the cable jacket and use a tightly mounted zip tie around the cable end at the ridge that the old plastic cap grabbed on to to hold the brass sleeve in place and not allow it to slide out again. Hope this helps.

Edit - Can't seem to attach the photos. If you wish PM me your email address and I'll send you some photos.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
My apology to all offended. I tend to be a little cocky before I'm warmed up, and clearly that is only after 6A Pacific.

Note to self: STFU

Thank you for the behavioral correction advice. I'm swallowing that pill now.
No worries, buddy
I’m the same way. I try not to post before noon
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #9

Hey guys. I knew I’d take a hit for the knock off so it’s cool. But hey $35😳. I’m just learning how to navigate the forum and will pm Doug for the pics when figure out how to. I wouldn’t have thought to look first at the tranny first so appreciate the impute. After backing up my driveway into the garage I did find a minuscule amount of lever travel to the point the gears would grind if it wasn’t in the perfect position. Not sure if that helps pin things down a bit more. First chance I’ll roll up the sleeves and keep you posted. Bought it $5.5k w 82kmi. Put $3500 into it so far w about 1/2 for fun & 1/2 functional. Was going to track day it at Laguna Seca but the ebrake drum spring broke so took the m5 and the right front wheel lug bolts snapped off for no apparent reason and wheel went up into the fender. Needless to say there’s been one theory after another what the heck happened. About $3k later it’s back on the road. Thought I’d throw that out and see where it lands.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
No worries, buddy
I’m the same way. I try not to post before noon
Noon? That's a ...

Wait. It's only 440A. Se ya after 6. :dance:
Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #11

Problem fixed

Doug427 had it right. Great tip and photos. Saved me from who knows how much searching. The clip on the shift linkage at the transmission broke and jammed the lever. Slid the collar back and secured it with a zip tie. The whole repair took about twenty minutes with one guy at the tranny and another moving the shift lever to confirm things. Went for a hardshifnting drive afterwards and worked great.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Old 08-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Doug427 had it right. Great tip and photos. Saved me from who knows how much searching. The clip on the shift linkage at the transmission broke and jammed the lever. Slid the collar back and secured it with a zip tie. The whole repair took about twenty minutes with one guy at the tranny and another moving the shift lever to confirm things. Went for a hardshifnting drive afterwards and worked great.
Glad it helped. If you can, try to post the photos I sent you up here. For some reason I can't post them. They might help the next guy down the road, as this seems to be a recurring issue. Enjoy the car!

Doug

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote