Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #1

IndigoBoxster in Austin,Texas

Mike from Austin here. Just purchased one of those $7000 used Boxsters, super clean original shape, 78k miles, all owners manuals, all keys, a stack of record and receipts, regularly serviced, PCA registered original owner, runs beautifully, no IMS bearing issue yet (double row, early build 2000 2.7), with hardtop. A few spark plug leaks, tight suspension all around... But, it has an intermittent rattle at cold start up, goes away after a 1-2 seconds, occasionally when warm. Got a bit worse when changed from 5w-40 to 0w-40 recently. Found NO metal, BUT did find tiny bits of black hard plastic/nylon material. I suspect chain tensioner pumping down and rail wear. PLEASE POST or send me your soundbites, Youtubes, mp3's? of yours doing it prior to repair. Does this entail removing the cams on my M96 engine? O believe this is a 5 chain engine(8/99 build date). Thanks for ya'lls input on this. Especially how much it might cost me to repair. Glad to be part of the Forum. i hope to learn and be informative.

IndigoBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBoxster View Post
Mike from Austin here. Just purchased one of those $7000 used Boxsters, super clean original shape, 78k miles, all owners manuals, all keys, a stack of record and receipts, regularly serviced, PCA registered original owner, runs beautifully, no IMS bearing issue yet (double row, early build 2000 2.7), with hardtop. A few spark plug leaks, tight suspension all around... But, it has an intermittent rattle at cold start up, goes away after a 1-2 seconds, occasionally when warm. Got a bit worse when changed from 5w-40 to 0w-40 recently. Found NO metal, BUT did find tiny bits of black hard plastic/nylon material. I suspect chain tensioner pumping down and rail wear. PLEASE POST or send me your soundbites, Youtubes, mp3's? of yours doing it prior to repair. Does this entail removing the cams on my M96 engine? O believe this is a 5 chain engine(8/99 build date). Thanks for ya'lls input on this. Especially how much it might cost me to repair. Glad to be part of the Forum. i hope to learn and be informative.
Pic or it didn't happen.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 AM   #3

Garage
Ya, let's see some pics. I'd like to see what Indigo looks like
As far as start up rattle, there is chain rattle and loose heat shields rattle. Your description, cold start goes away 1-2 sec is classic chain tension pump up. To replace just the tensioner, that is setting to TDC and locking cams. Ramps is a whole lot more and I believe requires removing cam covers.

When mine sits for weeks and I have to start, I start immediately shut off. Do that a couple times, then start. That seems to pump up tensioner and I don't get chain rattle. You will see a little unburned gas smoke and the Secondary Air Pump might not run.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Ya, let's see some pics. I'd like to see what Indigo looks like
As far as start up rattle, there is chain rattle and loose heat shields rattle. Your description, cold start goes away 1-2 sec is classic chain tension pump up. To replace just the tensioner, that is setting to TDC and locking cams. Ramps is a whole lot more and I believe requires removing cam covers.

When mine sits for weeks and I have to start, I start immediately shut off. Do that a couple times, then start. That seems to pump up tensioner and I don't get chain rattle. You will see a little unburned gas smoke and the Secondary Air Pump might not run.
I've got pics where once the tensioner guides start to wear -- the chains start acting like saws and start to chew right through the rest of the guides.

cam tensioners and guides can be replaced with the engine in the car (but its tight work).

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #5

Here's my baby, full gray leather, deep ocean blue...
Old 02-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

That's a pretty car.

I've changed nearly every part I can think of and mine still has a rattle at startup. Good luck with the car.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #8

Thank all you guys

Always want to hear from in Central Texas. If anyone knows of a good independent mechanic inn Austin, please let me know. Thanks Again.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #9

My Sweet 2001

Ahhh, That blue my friend, is Lapis Blue Metallic (L3A8)
I think I may have seen you this morning on my way into the office-I've been wondering who is driving the other bluebird in Austin!

Last edited by Austinsweet01; 02-05-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Austinsweet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

NICE! Thinking you replaced your fried eggs for later clear versions,yes?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinsweet01 View Post
Ahhh, That blue my friend, is Lapis Blue Metallic (L3A8)
I think I may have seen you this morning on my way into the office-I've been wondering who is driving the other bluebird in Austin!

Love those wheels!

phook is offline   Reply With Quote