View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
IndigoBoxster

IndigoBoxster in Austin,Texas

Mike from Austin here. Just purchased one of those $7000 used Boxsters, super clean original shape, 78k miles, all owners manuals, all keys, a stack of record and receipts, regularly serviced, PCA registered original owner, runs beautifully, no IMS bearing issue yet (double row, early build 2000 2.7), with hardtop. A few spark plug leaks, tight suspension all around... But, it has an intermittent rattle at cold start up, goes away after a 1-2 seconds, occasionally when warm. Got a bit worse when changed from 5w-40 to 0w-40 recently. Found NO metal, BUT did find tiny bits of black hard plastic/nylon material. I suspect chain tensioner pumping down and rail wear. PLEASE POST or send me your soundbites, Youtubes, mp3's? of yours doing it prior to repair. Does this entail removing the cams on my M96 engine? O believe this is a 5 chain engine(8/99 build date). Thanks for ya'lls input on this. Especially how much it might cost me to repair. Glad to be part of the Forum. i hope to learn and be informative.
IndigoBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote