Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
Who's askin'?

New owner in Utah

Hey y'all!
This looks to be a happenin' place to find information on my new toy. Thanks in advance for all of your help, as I get elbow deep in my new ride.

I've never been a Porsche guy. I've owned a TON of cars over the years (this one is, I think, #68), but never really wanted a Porsche. I think this has always been a "function of my dysfunction", haha. I have this odd need to distance myself from things that other people like. It's weird. But I'm trying to embrace it, hahaha!

So anyway: I made an offer 2 weeks ago on my dream-car.... which the seller eventually rejected. But I was in car-buying mode, so I started a broad search, Nationwide, for sporty roadsters with a manual trans, under $10k so I wasn't blowing my budget if the dream-car suddenly becomes possible again right now.... hahaha.

I narrowed down to two cars: a MB SLK350 with a 6-spd (not very common). Green with Beige interior. It was a beautiful car, and I've been an MB guy for years. But then I found a little 2003 Boxster S, Blue with Cognac interior. I was so torn that I finally went and found a Boxster S at a local dealership to drive, just to see if I liked it.

Yeah, I liked it. hahaha. I think I giggled through the entire test-drive! The salesman in the passenger seat was enthused at first, scared when we entered the freeway sideways, and then pissed when I slapped his knee at 115mph and told him "relax man, I'm a trained professional" hahaha.
So yeah: I was hooked.

So the car arrived yesterday. It's always scary buying a car I haven't seen before. You learn to anticipate that there will be things you weren't aware of. That's true of this car, but nothing that would have necessarily been a deal-changer.

SO: the car's going in my garage for abit. I can't start on it until I get my wife's project completed, but at that stage, I'm going to go through it and change all the fluids, consumables, etc etc. I'll probably change spark plugs and some other maintenance items. And I'll detail the CRAP out of the car, so it'll become MINE, and I'll get to know it intimately.

Eventually, my plan is to get back to the racetrack occassionally. Not go racing... I've spent too many years and too many fortunes doing that. But the occasional trackday would be a hoot in this thing.

Until then, I'll be looking to improve the sound.

The local one I drove had a louder "honk" from the intake, that was just silly and fun. I suspect this may have been due to an aftermarket Cold Air intake being installed? (I'm guessing... we didn't "pop the hood"). Doing a search on the web, I see that a 987 T/B and plenum swap is common, but until I've got the thing dialed-in, I'm not going to start messing with a mod like that. (Unless the cost is similar to the CAI would be?)

Then I need an exhaust that snarls. It needs to AVOID sounding like a japanese ricer... so these "free" mods that I see all over the web are probably not the direction I'm going to go, unless there's a concensus here that it sounds better than I think it will.

Anyway: I'm rambling... as I'm prone to do.
Thanks in advance for all your help! I look forward to being helpful wherever I can be as well.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Welcome. Search function is your friend.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Welcome. Search function is your friend.
+1

Welcome!