Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 02:25 AM   #1

New Owner - 2000 Boxster S

Hi everyone! I’m new to the 986 world. I just bought a 2000 S and it’s a great driver. I’m torn with the decision to have an IMS swap done on it. I’ve read everything about this and cannot come to a conclusion. This car has 83k on it. If it needed a clutch now, it would be an easier decision but the clutch is good. Thoughts? I don’t want to start another IMS debate; however, any wisdom is appreciated. I’ve been quoted about $3400 for Ln IMS, RMS, and clutch kit replacement.

I’d also like to upgrade to a 997 shifter and a nicer knob. Otherwise I like it the way it is.

The other minor issue is that the top side tension cables end up outside of the plastic rail when the top goes up. I’m not sure how to address that. I’ve searched some on this and haven’t found a good how-to. Can anyone point me to instructions?

I’d upload a photo but it’s not letting me do so from my phone.

Bloomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Pick five of these to read:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A986forum.com+should+i+replace+the+ ims&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I'd probably wait 'till it needs the clutch done. If you are going to be worrying about it every time you drive, do it now.

For the top, read this:
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:13 AM   #3

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Pick five of these to read:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A986forum.com+should+i+replace+the+ ims&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I'd probably wait 'till it needs the clutch done. If you are going to be worrying about it every time you drive, do it now.

For the top, read this:
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the information. That top document is really good. I’ll be looking into it.
Bloomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

Cheap(ish) Boxter.... I know no such animal!

Hey Guys,

50 YOA newbie here! In North East PA. I just sold off my basket case 1984 944 that I got from a buddy for the trade of a handgun.... Was just a parts car... But it sat for 8 years and I got it running And drove it for a year + and did all the wrenching on it myself.... So it only cost me About $1000 in "tuition" to learn how to keep her running..... Snif, sniff.... Even though she was a fugly pig..... And was nickel and diming me to death.... I do miss her!

Sooooo I have decided I need a cheap Boxster....... 'cause I do not have enough suffering in my life.... I would like an "S" but only seem to find junk in my area.... Well So far!

I looked at one today and while not horrible (on the outside) was a 5 owner and last sold at an auction car.... It looked good in the pics.... But was disappointment in person....like a lady of the evening.... That was working beyond her years.... Just dirty and sad under the armor all.... Kinda felt it was neglected..... But I am still thinking about it! The Body, paint (sorry for the obvious metaphor!) were nice and the top was fairly new.... Maybe worth fixing up.....? The price is right.... One of the sales guys said it would sell around $7500.... Motor didn't sound bad..... But the owner balked at letting me take it for a PPI.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-porsche-boxster-sport/6339773411.html

Anyway..... I'm kinda thinking that I'd like to spend $6500-$10000 on a car..... One that had been well loved and taken care of.... (If that is not goofy!)

Does the 2.7 really have a noticeable difference then the 2.5? I am thinking a 2000 + car is the way to go.... But there are some 97-99 that look pretty nice!

I know, I know drive a slow car fast.... Not a fast car slow!

Thanks!!!
Fred

1096369fred is offline   Reply With Quote