Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
MistySeas

New 2000 Boxster Owner have key question

I have my first Porsche, 2000 Boxster 2.7, it came with the key with just a light. It does have the central lock on the dash. I have searched a ton of threads trying to see if you can "upgrade" the fob to be able to have remote entry. Has anyone done this or attempted it? I have read many on how to change them out with existing but not change the type. I need to replace the current fobs anyway as neither one works and both are missing the logo.
Thanks for any input. I have been learning a lot reading through the threads on here. I really knew nothing about Porsche until last week when I bought this one. I am looking forward to driving and playing with it for many years!

MistySeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry but I can't help with the keys.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
MistySeas

Thanks Martha!
MistySeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistySeas View Post
I have my first Porsche, 2000 Boxster 2.7, it came with the key with just a light. It does have the central lock on the dash. I have searched a ton of threads trying to see if you can "upgrade" the fob to be able to have remote entry. Has anyone done this or attempted it? I have read many on how to change them out with existing but not change the type. I need to replace the current fobs anyway as neither one works and both are missing the logo.
Thanks for any input. I have been learning a lot reading through the threads on here. I really knew nothing about Porsche until last week when I bought this one. I am looking forward to driving and playing with it for many years!
Hello Misty Seas and welcome to the forums. Let me see if I understand your question correctly. Your current keys do not have the remote locking and unlocking for the doors and trunk but you have the central locking module?

I'd think that you basically have a couple of cheaper valet keys. If you were to acquire the correct keys with remote functions and have them programmed to your car the problem should be solved. It also begs to question why the previous owner did not do so? I'm inclined to believe that you can program the correct remote key and things should be fine. Good luck. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Converse986Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Central locking has nothing to do with keyless entry.

You'd need to check your option codes before wasting money on an expensive key.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Central locking has nothing to do with keyless entry.

You'd need to check your option codes before wasting money on an expensive key.
Thanks Particlewave! I've learned something new in replying to the OP in your response.

Converse986Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fob , key